Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 8 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 3 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By 16Tontovarish
  • 1 Post By 30late
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By paremata

Thread: Sleeping Bags

Sleeping Bags

I’ve never owned a decent sleeping bag, have always made do with sub-$100 bags. What I don’t understand is bag temperature ratings, and so-called three season and four season bags. Can one bag really keep you warm in the colder seasons without being too hot in summer? This seems impossible to me, but as stated I’ve never had a decent bag. I’m after a lightweight bag, but also probably more of a priority is a bag that packs down very compact. Anything in the $2-500 range that fits the bill? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More meplat, more better.

What about a quilt?

You need a bag with 800loft down. The higher the loft the warmer it will be. My bag is 400gram of 800loft down. It’s good from Sept to May. A 600gram 800loft can be used all year round. You will need to unzip it and use as a blanket in summer.
    Wait for Macpac to have a sale and buy then.
    308, Scouser, Micky Duck and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    I’ve never owned a decent sleeping bag, have always made do with sub-$100 bags. What I don’t understand is bag temperature ratings, and so-called three season and four season bags. Can one bag really keep you warm in the colder seasons without being too hot in summer? This seems impossible to me, but as stated I’ve never had a decent bag. I’m after a lightweight bag, but also probably more of a priority is a bag that packs down very compact. Anything in the $2-500 range that fits the bill? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    firstly dont get to hung up on pack down compact - that comes at a cost and that is warmth - if you want a bag for year round thats a big ask - I would recommend two - a decent down bag for winter - get a full zip model and then if it is to warm you can open it up and just have it like a duvet -you may be able to score one of the older fairy down second hand if ya lucky - I have my old fairy down everest still one of the best - only bugbear it was only a half zip mummy bag -damn nuisance if it was to hot - I never go in winter without my liteweight polar fleece blanket - put under me against sleeping pad or put it under and over - doubles warmth of sleeping bag - then for summer a cheap light sleeping bag - if you buy a decent down bag dont store it scrunched up - lay it out on a spare bed or at least in a very loose bag and take it out regularly and air it - or use as a duvet
    Micky Duck likes this.

A light weight bag with the addition of a thermal liner for winter can work too.
    Moa Hunter, Ned and RV1 like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    A light weight bag with the addition of a thermal liner for winter can work too.
    yeah - not bad idea -thermal liner easily cleaned and dryed to unlike sleeping bags -

Gone but not forgotten
    I splashed out on a couple of down sleeping bags this year.
    A Kathmandu navigator (I think, whichever is rated highest between that and the colombus) and a Macpac Escapade 750 XL. Very happy with both of them, normal retail about $600 each but easily picked up for a bit over $300 on their regular sales.

i bought a one planet minus 7 rated bag for approx 440 bucks. I rate it highly. rarely am I cold. usually have merino or a silk liner to add to the warmth.

I bought a mountain warehouse bag https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/nz.../burnt-orange/
    pretty heavy, but damn warm and cheap. perfect for anywhere you can drive or be flown into.

for walking in I use a Rab mythic, about 600g all up. but it was not the cheapest.
    always use a liner, makes keeping the bag clean much easier.
    timattalon likes this.

I have two i use, Macpac Epic 800 for winter/autumn + a lite weight Macpac dragonfly 400 for summer/spring hut use.

Really happy with them both, Macpac are like briscoes and are pretty much in a constant state of special sales!

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    i bought a one planet minus 7 rated bag for approx 440 bucks. I rate it highly. rarely am I cold. usually have merino or a silk liner to add to the warmth.
    I've been looking at lightweight down bags and keep coming back to One Planet, very highly rated and half the price of a Rab mythic!!!.
    Ned likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I splashed out on a couple of down sleeping bags this year.
    A Kathmandu navigator (I think, whichever is rated highest between that and the colombus) and a Macpac Escapade 750 XL. Very happy with both of them, normal retail about $600 each but easily picked up for a bit over $300 on their regular sales.
    I have the same macpac escapade 750xl.......I traveled 60 km to go back into store and swap regular size (which I had tried in the shop much to wifes horror) for the xl size...I can sleep totally inside bag without shoulders cramping....during warmer months I unzip all but the foot box and sleep under it inside a cheap warehouse sleeping bag liner which has its own wee cover about the size of regular coffee cup/coke can the liner boosts heat in winter and keeps me semi decent in summer if in company of others...it works as a meat bag in a pinch too....no good to sleep in until been through wash again though.
    Barry the hunter likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Macpac have their autumn sale pn atm
    Micky Duck and tanqueray like this.
    Pack out heavy

Anything by Rab is good to go, I have 3 of their bags and rate them