Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Stalking shoes

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Eat Meater View Post
    Has anyone tried using neoprene socks?
    No, but the Wettie ones have kevlar soles. Could be useful for this purpose? Expect very sweaty feet, not healthy.

https://www.wettie.co.nz/products/gl...r-booties-3mm/

I have a pair of inov8 xtalon260....paired with Bridgedale waterproof socks....great lightweight option

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    RV1 likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I have recently (earlier this year) gone to trail running shoes, after talking to a few guys who do really well in the bush. Previously, I have been a die-hard leather hiking boots guy. 95% of my hunting is bush stalking in the Ruahines, Kawekas & Kaimanawas. If I have a big walk in or over rough terrain I walk in with the big shoes and have my trail shoes in the pack for stalking. The ones I have are Salomon speedcross 5's. I believe they are a tad over 300 grams per shoe so weigh nothing in the pack. I was intially worried about the lack of ankle support but, I think partly due to knowing that there is less support, I have taken far less slips and falls than in my leather boots. Personally, I think they are at least twice as quiet and don't suck as much energy out of you when slowly stalking through the bush. I don't mind the wet feet as that's part of bush stalking most of the time anyway after crossing a few creeks and gully heads. I would not use bare feet or socks. To much risk of hurting yourself and if you're a few hours from the car with meat, it's a slow painfull walk out. Don't think I will ever go back to stalking in leather boots. Cheers
    ANTSMAN, RV1 and Snoppernator like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RuahineReds94 View Post
    I have recently (earlier this year) gone to trail running shoes, after talking to a few guys who do really well in the bush. Previously, I have been a die-hard leather hiking boots guy. 95% of my hunting is bush stalking in the Ruahines, Kawekas & Kaimanawas. If I have a big walk in or over rough terrain I walk in with the big shoes and have my trail shoes in the pack for stalking. The ones I have are Salomon speedcross 5's. I believe they are a tad over 300 grams per shoe so weigh nothing in the pack. I was intially worried about the lack of ankle support but, I think partly due to knowing that there is less support, I have taken far less slips and falls than in my leather boots. Personally, I think they are at least twice as quiet and don't suck as much energy out of you when slowly stalking through the bush. I don't mind the wet feet as that's part of bush stalking most of the time anyway after crossing a few creeks and gully heads. I would not use bare feet or socks. To much risk of hurting yourself and if you're a few hours from the car with meat, it's a slow painfull walk out. Don't think I will ever go back to stalking in leather boots. Cheers
    Like the speedcross 5's so much have a pair here at home an another pair at the bach. Such good grip on slippery ground.

Quote Originally Posted by AMac View Post
    Like the speedcross 5's so much have a pair here at home an another pair at the bach. Such good grip on slippery ground.
    Yea mate. They trump any hiking boot I've tried for grip. You feel much more nimble as well instead of having boots the weight of bricks on your feet

I used surfing booties a lot in the past - they’re like dive boots but with a supple sole. Just like anything made to go in the ocean the more you spend the better quality you get, but some reasonable options can be had for $60 if you want to try them out. Buy 5mm if you’re wanting warmer, but 3mm should be enough for north island.
    Something like this or similar https://www.hydrosurf.co.nz/wetsuits.../ewp2749m.aspx
    The more expensive ones will be warmer and softer and easier to put on. They’re epic for river crossings as you’d imagine.

I’ve been using the vivomove brand ones from Australia now for a couple years and can confirm they are the ducks nuts! They are expensive but so so good, you can feel the ground and flex the sole but also get good ankle support etc. if you’re buying on a budget they do come out with a couple sales a year - check them out https://vivobarefoot.com.au/collecti...42705087103193
    Nick-D likes this.

The Vivomove options are barefoot shoes without the split toes so warmer, more comfortable and less freaky to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    I used surfing booties a lot in the past - they’re like dive boots but with a supple sole. Just like anything made to go in the ocean the more you spend the better quality you get, but some reasonable options can be had for $60 if you want to try them out. Buy 5mm if you’re wanting warmer, but 3mm should be enough for north island.
    Something like this or similar https://www.hydrosurf.co.nz/wetsuits.../ewp2749m.aspx
    The more expensive ones will be warmer and softer and easier to put on. They’re epic for river crossings as you’d imagine.

I’ve been using the vivomove brand ones from Australia now for a couple years and can confirm they are the ducks nuts! They are expensive but so so good, you can feel the ground and flex the sole but also get good ankle support etc. if you’re buying on a budget they do come out with a couple sales a year - check them out https://vivobarefoot.com.au/collecti...42705087103193

Archie, any idea how long they last? Of course depending on usage, but maybe you can give a rough idea?

Use the Salomon Speedcross 5s. Awesome for bush hunting Kaimais, Kaimanawas, and have used them in tops trips to Kawekas etc. They have great grip, and the rubber is really durable. Won't be going back to a boot for these trips.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Try the studded trail shoes (mostly used for ice running in Europe). Weigh nothing and have small titanium studs on some of the treads. You will never slip on rocks, trunks, roots again. I have used them for all my North Island hunting for the last 10 years, perfect for the slippery Galatea creeks. "Click" a bit on the rocks but once in the bush soundless. Sarva, Innov8 are some options. Look at Varuste.net