Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Backcountry Bob

Thread: Trail Cam's what's the best buy

Trail Cam's what's the best buy

Hey,

What is everyone using these days as a trail cam?

Are there any recommendations or ones to stay away from?

What are your thoughts on the cell feature, is this useful or do most not bother? How much does it cost to run the cell part, is it like a cost ever pic or is it done through the internet?

I remember years ago someone on here selling a camera called Lil Acorn or something like that, are they still around?

I just want to monitor a few places mostly for pigs so I can judge numbers/patterns in an area before going in for a Stalk, hopefully try and get in close with the Bow. So probably dont need the highest quality pics, I'm not trying to ID trophies.

Thanks

Gone but not forgotten
    The cell feature only works if your hunting area has cell coverage. The cost depends on what plan you are on, I've heard of people getting a bill for heaps. I had a non-cell camera take several thousand pictures of a waving punga frond, glad I wasn't paying for those to be sent to me!

I bought a Bestguarder off Wish. I haven't used it yet but it has all the bells and whistles.
    I will set it up at some point and see how good it is. Obviously a lot cheaper than the big brands but reviews seem pretty good.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 27-01-2023 at 06:57 PM.

Gone but not forgotten
    I've been quite impressed with the Moultrie ones I bought on a runout special, I think the model was A30i or something like that. Only take still photos though, and no screen to view photos (which does make them cheaper, and I just take a small camera with me to view the photos).
    This thread has a lot of real world results from different cameras, the brand of camera is often shown in the corner of the photo
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....0/index57.html

If your not in a hurry, check out bass pro or cabelas in tge states

They often pop up in the bargain bin or on sale (ie black friday) super cheap, even with the shipping !!

I have had most types, would recomend moultrie, browning or wild game innovations.

What ever you do....DONT mount them with a tree spike !! The possums will climb up and in the process they can invert the spike/camera.
    None of them are waterproof from the bottom. Lost me two good ones like this in the early days. Never again, just strap them to the tree.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

MB
    I don't know if it's fair to dismiss a brand because of one bad experience, but I bought a Campark from Amazon and it never worked at night. Work perfectly during daylight. The camera has since done the rounds on the forum via the "Pay it forward" thread.

Acorns are good and just as important are small. The size of the camera is a significant factor in how visible a camera is to casual passerby.
    Hunteast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    I just use cheap ones off aliexpress, can be a bit hit an miss but normally they are pretty good.

Here’s an example, hopefully I’ll catchup with this fella this roar….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDol9lnCAlw
    Got a link to this camera mate?

Public land small cheap cameras save then being seen/stolen or it being such a consequence if they do. I've lost a few cameras to dirtbags.