Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3

Thread: Game birds in NZ - South Island

Game birds in NZ - South Island

This is something I'd love to do but know there is pretty much no opportunity to happen.
    Patrick and I are coming over in March for a hunt (with tui_man2) and I was just wondering what kind of licensing would be required for a game bird hunt? This thought is inspired by Munsey's "Goose Hunt" story. I would love to have a crack at a canadian goose, a pheasant, a turkey or a mallard. What licensing is required for these? It's probably a pipe dream for this trip because we wouldn't be able to take shotguns with us but maybe next time we do it we could add in a day or so chasing birds.
    If anyone would ever be willing to give us a hand chasing some (maybe even show us how good some of these NZ dogs are that I hear about!) that'd be awesome - and if i ever got a nice goose or a good cock pheasant and could find somewhere over there not too dear I'd probably get him taxi'd up for my slowly increasing collection of memories.
    Cheers,
    Jack

Plenty of birds in dunners and chch and most of em are pretty game
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

gamebird season starts first weekend in May. Parrie summer season this month or Saturday the start here the Welly Region. Geese aren't classed as a game bird so any humane method and no licence needed.

O'Roukes down south a great Taxidermists if you come to the North I have a Taxidermist that specializes in birds.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Vc - if I chased them birds I'd have my nuts torn out the second I got home off the plane!

Thanks Dundee - could get one this trip then, 300 might be just a little over gun though ha

Pm me if you are ever over in duckshooting season, starts in may. Got a farm in chChristchurch with a 7ha pond that we are shooting this year. If your in the north island I can sort you out with bulk geese, pheasants, turkeys, peacocks, pigeons etc. If you really want blazing barrels you need to come over this time of the year to Auckland and I will take you pigeon shooting. Take 1000 rounds and stop shooting when we run out. Usually lunch time. It's great fun
    Matt2308 likes this.

And guns aren't an issue, always got plenty spare. If you do want a shotgun to take on this trip I can lend you one no problem mate

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Pm me if you are ever over in duckshooting season, starts in may. Got a farm in chChristchurch with a 7ha pond that we are shooting this year. If your in the north island I can sort you out with bulk geese, pheasants, turkeys, peacocks, pigeons etc. If you really want blazing barrels you need to come over this time of the year to Auckland and I will take you pigeon shooting. Take 1000 rounds and stop shooting when we run out. Usually lunch time. It's great fun

Are I missing a pigeon report somewhere with a story and pics?
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rtwQcEebFFQ

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DNhtXhnW2J0

Here's a couple from a few years ago. Watch this space tho Dundee. Will be going pigeon shooting in two weeks when I'm back from the south island, got some mountain goats to hunt down here first

Cheers PerazziSC3
    CFD

Mallards , Grey Duck (your Black duck), Spoonbill Duck, Paradise Shell Duck , Pukeko (swamp hen) California Quail , Chuckor ,Bobwhite Quail and Partridge , Black Swan and Pheasant are all game that you need a licence to shoot or hunt . The Game bird season starts on the first Saturday of May and runs until the Friday before the first sat of may the next year . The species ,sex, number and season length varies with location and bird numbers through out NZ , as do various local rules about decoy numbers , magazine capacity and feeding .
    Turkeys , Canada Geese , Guinea fowl, pigeons etc are not Game in the legal sense and as such have no season or limit .
    The Turkeys are feral domestic birds and are completely different from the wild birds in the USA - they have become fool birds as a result of being domesticated for at least 3500 years .
    There are limited oportunities to shoot Pheasants in the South Island , the further north you go the better chance you have , the seasons generally run May to August - September .
    There are out of season shoots for Paradise ducks in various parts of NZ but all require a current licence and usually a permit .
    Click on this for all the information you will need . Hunting Regulations in NZ | Hunting
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

I've only been out after geese a few times myself, but if you're around Christchurch (or passing through) I'd be happy to lend you a shottie (three in the safe), caller, ammo and decoys. May even be able to organize a hunt, though someone more experienced may be better.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!