Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 7 Post By kotuku
  • 1 Post By tetawa
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Jusepy
  • 2 Post By The bomb
  • 3 Post By MB
  • 2 Post By Quackers

Thread: Hi Ho Hi Ho for a mallard we will go!!!!!

Hi Ho Hi Ho for a mallard we will go!!!!!

Hows the prep goin team???
    Im behind the 8ball this year -old age creeping in and my usual shaggin about .
    however from the buggered if files

my wee tinny and outboard had been on loan to my son and his mate so they got returned-Had to fit new transom timber 13mmply did the job nicely .me wee3 old merc1109.8hp motor well it was bot playin the game .for some bloody reason it wouldnt go into gear. last mechanic I took it too said his labour would be more than the motors worth but did tell me how to fit a new impeller which i managed ,though thats 10yrs ago. Utube turned up the goods on this motor including a gerbox strip /service .Ididnt go that far but had the leg off 3-4times before yesterday finding a wire clip stuck in the mechanism.cant see where it goes ,but........when i put the leg back on bugge r me with a moist cucumber and call me bertram it bloody works!!!!!! a couple of bevvies and lotsa pats on my back were in order.
    today weve sorted pDOCpermits -for anyone shooting on ellesmere they are a legal requirement. me ;ducks ,feral geese ,canada geese all valid for 12months. just email DOC Vistors centre in CHCH and theyll sort it for you at NO CHARGE(thats rarer than rocking horse shit these days ,Nz police HQ please note.) so on w/e will probably put boat in water and test drive it.A report in from last night -Son was fishing at harts creek reserve -large congregations of ducks in the area all seem in fairly good nick.havent heard what McBeans is like canada wise ,but no doubt we will find out!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Hot barrels and happy days are a coming.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Looking forward to opening morning .
    Have ammo and all other things organized. Im hoping opening will be a cold morning , unlike the last few years where it has heated up during the day , almost have to strip off to a singlet.
    Hot barrels everyone .... Much Excite !!
    Patience Is A Virtue

By the forecast for top half of North Is, water, water everywhere.
    Jusepy likes this.

plan is coming together slowly....decoys sorted n resorted 4-5 times
    kayaks on trailer
    camo nets washed and back in bucket with weights
    mates have tagged maimai and scrubbed it of shag poop!!!
    hopefully accomidation is sorted in mates garage
    might just leave dog home for opening weekend,going to be a logistical nightmare getting 4 people and gear across bit of water as it is,a dog scrap at carpark would be not flash.
    shotgun and ammo is sorted
    callers have been all relocated
    food list made up
    clothing list sorted
    wont be wearing waders,they are suddenly too tight!!!! actually my brothers pair so thats ok....
    gsp follower and Jusepy like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Forgot to mention that Ive been practicing my calling in my ute on the way to work for the last 6 weeks.
    Sould be good by next season haha
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Gunboat sorted,boy broke his arm on Anzac Day so he might not be going depending on his cast setup,might do same with the dog and leave him at the truck for the morning flurry,he’s not used to the gunboat deal yet and don’t want to put the young dog off..Canadian canoe sorted with new paint job,camping gear sorted.looking like lots of rain coming my way so lake will be good and high.counting the sleeps now.
    gsp follower and Micky Duck like this.

MB
    Slowly moving up the ladder from a bad spot on private land (now lost anyway) to a bad spot on F&G administered land to hopefully a good spot on a balloted F&G pond. Maybe this is the opening where it all comes right? We haven't invested too much time in the new spot. Want to get a feel for it first, so it'll be a temporary maimai. Just ordered a new ghillie suit. As someone who moves around a bit and often hunts alone, I find them quite useful. Heading over to the spot at the weekend to make a little clearing where we can get set up.

Starting to get the fever setting in..looking forward to this season .daughter got the calling down a bit better and pretty keen to shoot a duck in the air as opposed to finishing off woundys.so this year be like a more mentoring laid back approach for my shooting .and teaching her some more important waterfowling skills.has already requested the bacon and egg pie from mum.her reply was have you seen the price of eggs.she replied have you seen the price of ammunition. Lol
    gsp follower and Micky Duck like this.