Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By country cuts
  • 1 Post By rusl

Thread: Pine trees and ducks

Pine trees and ducks

Hi,
    Years ago I located a large pond but was told by the owner no ducks seamed to come into it, he believed it was because there were pine trees planted all around it, and had been told ducks don’t like pine trees.
    Is there any truth to this, I see a few ponds in pictures online that have pines around them. Do any of you hunt in pine forests and still get ducks?
    The reason I ask is the pond I shoot with my boys, they are planting the whole place into pines in June, I’m going to continue shooting there until it drops off if it even does, I’m just after an indication if it likely will and at what age the trees start to impact the ducks.

This is a pond feed from the catchment above, no running water. Used to be a stock watering pond.

Never been an issue for me

It's not the pines but the obstruction of them getting in and out
    mawzer308 and MB like this.

Pines completely blot out all flight lines for ducks . I have a pond surrounded on three sides with 30m tall gums, and the ducks fly through them quite happily, cause they can see through them and can work out where to fly.

MB
    Has access to a lovely pond once, it had pine trees in all directions but one. It effectively funnelled the ducks in to my line of fire.

if the feed is there,somewhere safe to roost the ywill use it...flightlines are important but ducks will drop like a stone and take off like a harrier jump jet from pond if they really like it.... dont give up on it till you really strike out. if you keep feeding it,the ducks will stick around.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Sweet, sounds positive, I think the way this pond is positioned on the side of a hill the flight line should be alright at least for a good while, In saying that the most fun I ever had was shooting in flooded timber, that didn't seam to worry the birds they would swoop through the trees like crazy.
    Micky Duck likes this.