Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: reality check.

As said not just duck shooters and I am guilty to a minor degree if having a few drinks at the end of the day is anything to judge by. The last night of our roar trip finished just before 4am which was a reminder as to why we have not done that for so many years.

Few years back at the Lakeland helipad one lot going in had stacks of beer 4’ high (If they were brown bombers I would have said Dundee was behind it).
    I like to enjoy my next day hunt and have my wits about me. Same as fishing, don’t drink and fish.
    Scouser likes this.

When we flew into the Ureweras the other month we were talking to one of the pilots an he said one group basically needed a second flight because of the amount of alcohol they were taking in
    If I'm going hunting/fishing then that's what I'm there for. A drink at the end of the day is very secondary for the guys I regularly go with. They would be given the boot from trips if the priorities were the other way round.
    Scouser, Gibo and Woody like this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    When we flew into the Ureweras the other month we were talking to one of the pilots an he said one group basically needed a second flight because of the amount of alcohol they were taking in
    If I'm going hunting/fishing then that's what I'm there for. A drink at the end of the day is very secondary for the guys I regularly go with. They would be given the boot from trips if the priorities were the other way round.
    I agree, one or two coldies after a big day is great but not a priority, they do taste sweet after some success mind you But im talking mooses not gooses
    Woody likes this.

Our problem is these are the idiots that the media look for , they sell stories and grab head lines ...I fear we will see a death on opening day no matter how much we as a group put our hands up and say booze and guns don't mix.

We sit a firearms lienence stating firearms and alcohol / drugs don't mix we all know this ,so why the hell does having a tot or getting pissed / blazed whilst sitting in a Mai mai / stand change this?

I love my beers , I treasure my shooting, but pissing with up a loaded gun ,whilst in close confins with others pissing up with loaded guns. Its fucking stupid.

What we need to understand is that even a small amount of alcohol effects judgment. Your there with family & friends , eat, shoot and enjoy the comeradery ...also let the ducks fly , shoot only those you know that you can make a clean kill & recover, enjoy the day not the booze.

And FFS please please please treat EVERY gun as loaded.

Edit to add when clearing a semi auto use a finger or headlight / torch to make sure the mag & chamber is
    empty. I've being caught out one never again.
    EeeBees, mikee, Pengy and 1 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    alcohol is a vasodilator, it increases the risk of hypothermia
    well it sure helped warm me up!!!
    Woody likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

good n ya Chris...how dare that pillick insult your dog...hope he has to strip down to his jocks to get a duck and catches hypothermia

Last look at the mai mai there was a diet coke can in their..I don't need it neither does the dog
    Name:  13151394_1611177695868507_4958515819680487177_n.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  28.9 KBName:  13103438_1320081821342111_8628331316445325226_n.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  25.8 KB
    There will be beer in the fridge when I get home
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Last look at the mai mai there was a diet coke can in their..I don't need it neither does the dog
    Attachment 48998Attachment 48999
    There will be beer in the fridge when I get home
    And 4 dozen beside you a

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Our problem is these are the idiots that the media look for , they sell stories and grab head lines ...I fear we will see a death on opening day no matter how much we as a group put our hands up and say booze and guns don't mix.
    And the biggest problem we have unfortunately is there are no shortage of idiots either with guns or otherwise!!!!

There must be villages everywhere in the world pondering where their "idiots" went.................................... well now we know!!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    And the biggest problem we have unfortunately is there are no shortage of idiots either with guns or otherwise!!!!

There must be villages everywhere in the world pondering where their "idiots" went.................................... well now we know!!
    true idiots with cars are killing themselves others every damn day the irony of you not even needing a licence to buy one is not lost on me.

ive decided this year not to shoot opening??/
    well really my wallet decided for me new car boarder shooting thru have left us a bit more in the poo than we thought.
    but i,l call for a newbie abuse the shite out of him when he misses[nah not unless it becomes a habit] and concentrate on working the dog;
    in a week or two i,l grab a licence and head out after all the opening weekend /week hunters have moved on.

shit im quite loooking forward to being a semi passive observer a fountain of useless information and well targetted criticism
    Last edited by gsp follower; 04-05-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    good n ya Chris...how dare that pillick insult your dog...hope he has to strip down to his jocks to get a duck and catches hypothermia
    Would be a horrific sight seeing that fat ugly prick strip down to his jocks to retrieve a duck ,hypothermia might be good for him. Don't if it would effect his manhood is a blind
    date every time he takes a piss. Wonder if he ties a string on it so he can put it out of his guts or at least find it. Rip cord on his willie
    Gun control means using both hands

MB
    As others have said, I like drinking and hunting, but don't want to mix them. Being in the company of a load of pissed up blokes with shotguns is not high on my list of things to do.

Today, even though the weather was crap, me and Burl went walkies along a bush boundary hunting birds. This is a necessary activity for both out fitness, and needless to say, we do not carry the weight of booze. Hunting in wind and rain is not much chop on upland game but we pointed and flushed several pheasants and quail, but shot nothing. On the way back to my vehicle a few km away I spotted a p[erson silhouetted on the track ahead. He turned out to be a young fellow , about 15, with rifle and a dog. I stopped and had a yarn with him.

Now this boy was in possession of a semi auto firearm, alone and said he was pig hunting. He told me he had others working through towards him from the opposite side of the forest block we were in. Now, strictly speaking, this boy was in breach of a number of laws. However, he was well presented and tidy. Spoke clearly and without rancor or bs, and had his firearm pointed at the ground and towards the rear of us. He had his single dog under control ,sitting beside him, as had I, with my dog. All in all he behaved as a responsible adult and as I departed I wished him all the luck in the world. To me, this boy demonstrated the "old school" upbringing and conduct some of us had. Good luck to him and his whanau.