Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cody.a

Thread: Water fowl shotgun ?

Water fowl shotgun ?

Hey guys how's things I have a question and shotguns currently I own a old browning A5 which is it very good shape but am limited to 2 3/4 shells it was gifted to me what I'm wanting to know is if I purchased a new shotgun other than lighter weight and synthetic availability and bigger chamber would I gain much by buying a new gun ? I'm thinking a benelli m2 or Vinci. I'm not ungrateful for what I have just thinking about things cheers

Ejected
    I wouldn't stress about shooting 3" shells but what you would get with a new shotty is a gun that was designed from the ground up for steel shot. The beretta choke systems have all gotten much much longer since steel shot so that they constrict the shot more slowly and gently than the old chokes.

And of course the new gun will be all shiny and new...

Just another outdoors addict
    Agreeing with MassiveAttack I wouldn't get too hung up on 3in shells. Choke constriction is more important if it's fixed. I pretty much exclusively use 2 3/4 inch shells with a quarter choke and do so with an amount of success.

If you comfortably shoot the A5 a new M2 will give further reduced recoil and a life time of trouble free service at a fair price. There are other inertia options worth considering- Mirocchi, Breda, Franchi. There are arguably softer shooting options available with varying degrees of reliability and often offered with complimentary sanitary pads and needed warranties. Most modern guns come with shim kits so you can adjust gun fit along with multiple choke options- and of course it will be shiny and new.

Thanks for the replies I think I'll stay with the A5 the only thing I would like to change is the choke as it stands it shoots quite a wide pattern of steel id love to get it tightened up how would I go about this Since it does not take chokes?
    gsp follower likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody.a View Post
    Thanks for the replies I think I'll stay with the A5 the only thing I would like to change is the choke as it stands it shoots quite a wide pattern of steel id love to get it tightened up how would I go about this Since it does not take chokes?
    If it doesn't have removable chokes you basically have to buy a new shotty. Not many people complain about their steel pattern being too wide, it's normally the other way around.

Try some different ammo would be my advice and it all patterns differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody.a View Post
    the chokes not your only problem depending on how old a a5 it is.
    unless it has removable chokes it would cost you an arm and leg to put them inthe only way to tighten it .
    in the problem department if its a old a5 but open choked you may only need to releave the forcing cones in the chamber area id have a gun looked at by a gunsmith to be safe.
    if all ok try lots of different types of 2 3/4 inch steel winchester falcon id start with gamebore 30 gram its fast and deadly.
    they are bringing it in in sizes as small as 5,s if i remember right 4s for certain.
    borrow or take it to a gunshop and use a choke gauge to check whats in it and go from there.
    most now swear by improved cylinder or at most half choke for steel some the experts use skeet even.
    i dont even use 3 inch lead in my twenty anymore cos it aint neccessary.
    i have to use 3inch steel at lake elly cos i gotta use steel and its all i could find
    Last edited by gsp follower; 15-01-2016 at 02:05 PM.