Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By stickle7
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By southernman
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter

Thread: Fly rod setup/advice

Fly rod setup/advice

After a few days at Mavora fishing the lakes and Mararoa river with the spinner, it was obvious that we would have caught a few more on the fly. I purchased an Airflo #6 9ft rod. What would you guys recommend for leader and Tippet strength? Currently have 6X or 3.5lbs tippet, yet to grab a leader. Have a small selection of flies, Royal Wulf, dads favourite, green beetle, ciccada and hare and copper.

Any advice welcomed.

James

kw
    If you have a local fly fishing club, join it as there will be people there with heaps of knowledge, worked for me a thousand years ago and I am still learning, best of luck K
    mawzer308 likes this.

Are you still down in Southland or back CNI? Local knowledge on type/pattern and size of fly is really important. I’m still very much a novice when it comes to fly fishing but I’d suggest a 6 or 8 lb tapered leader and 6lb tippet as a starting point. Flies you have are good start for dries. You might want to add a few more nymph patterns to dangle under your dries, like prince nymphs, or pheasant tails, Caddis patterns and some with some bling (called flash backs). Also get a selection of sizes S12 down to 16 or 18. Same with dries you need big uns and little uns. Trout can be very fussy about what they find appealing on any given day.
    mawzer308 likes this.

Just get a 9 foot tapered leader 5-6lbs, you can add your 6x to that,
    I seldom use a tippet that light, more in the 4.5-6lbs range, only go lighter with very clear and calm waters,
    It will be best to find sum one, to give you casting lessons, it will speed up the learning, and thus quicken success,
    I am going to recommend, you buy a few we wet fly's, they are very successful, when fished threw the tail of a pool/run (across and down) and can be swing under vegetation, they are simple to use, thus great for a beginner, as you don't have to get a drag free drift, like nymphing.
    mawzer308 likes this.

Cheers guys, still in Invercargill for a few more days then back up to CNI. Will look to grab a 9ft leader in the 6 -8lb range by the looks, I've got some 6 and and 8lbs line, will look to use that whilst learning as I imagine the 3.5lbs is easy to break. I've got a selection of drys from #10 - #18. Think I've got the basic mechanics of casting, enough to have a crack at some trout in open terrain, with nothing to snag on the back cast, probably Mataura or Oreti.

Banned
    There is a lot of rubbish gear for sale dont get fooled. At the terminal end good stuff is required. The tapered leader to buy is the Maxima Chameleon, there is none better on this planet, a good stretch and it will last a season. Buy Dragon line for tippet. Strong, wear resistant, doesn't just go pop and break, it stretches and does its best to hold a fish and half the price or less of all the rubbish lines like Suffix, Berkley etc. Keep in the fridge between trips. Get a packet of reverge tippet rings the 1.5mm ones.
    For Nymphs, look under the rocks when you hit the river for an idea of the local trout feed. Size 16 is the best start point. Nothing shiny for browns, pheasant tail, Hares ear and the like
    mawzer308 likes this.