Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: A heads-up for new members

Its intro time. Stand by I'm going to share....

Name is Rod, live in Welly but still cling to my roots in Nth Canty.

Began shooting as a kid, Dad was a Deer Culler, Pest Destruction Board and had a Edmonds Game Freezer. I started shooting with his Parker Hale Safari 308 with a Pecar scope, it was a nice rifle. Later went to Weaver Scope when the Pecar was beyond it.

Over the next 10 years I shot just about anything and everything the Army had to offer and did a little game hunting on the side. I say game hunting as opposed to shooting. I have to say that I never missed a deer that I shot at... Yup I'm 0 for 0

Now at the tender age of 45 its time to get back out there before the hills get a little too steep, I really want to have some qaulity bush/ feild/ range time with my son and maybe bag the odd beast.

Been waiting since May for my FAL, Its been delay after delay. The Pol Pol has said that the delay is due to their supplier in Auckland running out of cards/ laminate or such like....

I have my eyes on a couple of options, thinking a Remmington 700 or Mossberg ATR in 308, then later a 12gauge pump for clays and small game. Maybe a .22 later just for plinking. I also have to admitt to drooling over the M14/305 packages but that is a heart over head argument

Anyway, I did warn you about sharing to much....
    mikee and Beaker like this.

Welcome aboard, get into it and share away

Hamish
    Roddy likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Thanks gimp.

Look forward to getting to know you all!

I'm in Feilding if there are any locals aboard?
    We are not Human Beings having a spiritual experience - we are Spiritual Beings having a human experience

Thought it about time I should introduce myself, seeing as I signed up a year ago (long time reader, first time writer)
    I am new to hunting, its something i've talked about doing but never quite got motivated enough to do anything about as there was always an easy excuse. Anyway the realisation of turning 40 was the kick start I needed so I completed a HUNTS course with the nelson NZDA last year and loved it. Fast forward 12 months and i've stopped smoking and saved a LOT of money, got my fitness sorted, gathered up all the gear I need, now I just need to get my rifle sorted.
    Like Roddy I am looking seriously at Remington 700 or 738, Mossberg atf 100, and Tikka T3 also in 308. I have a trip to gin city in chch coming up soon so will try them for fit and hopefully make a decision. I too have to admit that the Norinco M14 package is very tempting, but the sensible voice in my head says no! there are better options for a first/main hunting rifle.

Cheers.
    mikee, Beaker and Roddy like this.

Myk
    Hi guys my names Myk and I'm fairly new to hunting. I've been out half a dozen times and am hoping to gain more experience. I dont know how to read a compass or own a gps (yet) but do have a 308 marlin. I want to learn good safe hunting habits and again I hope too find good mates and enjoy the outdoors. Cheers anyway guys!
    Danny likes this.

Welcome Myk, plenty of members from around your area. Lots to learn off the guys in here.
    Werawhakaui?

Rule 4. Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Myk
    Thanks Gibo I look forward to getting to know the guys on here!

Welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Myk
    Thanks Danny!

Under the big hill at the southern end of the Ruahines
    Guess I'll make an intro here then...

Hi all, I'm Matt, 26, born and bred in the thriving metropolis of Woodville... 3 Kids, all boys, all keen on following me everywhere so I try and get them out as much as I can. Been shooting since I was about 6 when my grandad got me my first air rifle and showed me how much shooting Tui cans was. Got my first bigish caliber rifle (Howa 7mm-08) a year ago and finally shot my first deer back in June after coming to a conclusion that deer are either allergic to me or they don't exist. Look forward to getting info from the forum and learning more about our beautiful country and all it's hunting opportunities!

Cheers!
    308, Danny, stumpy and 2 others like this.

Myk
    Welcome aboard Greig...Are you sure your not drinking a Big Fresh Up can when your hunting??!!!
    Remember at the end of the day........it's night time

Hi, Doug here. After having a break from hunting, due to work and being so far from areas with critters to chase, semi retirement gives me time to head for the hills again. Should be able to head to the Ruahines in a couple of weeks, and looking forward to some time in the bush again. Taking the 7mm this time, maybe the 50cal muzzleloader another time, its a good stick to help the old geezer up those steep hills.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2birds View Post
    Hi, Doug here. After having a break from hunting, due to work and being so far from areas with critters to chase, semi retirement gives me time to head for the hills again. Should be able to head to the Ruahines in a couple of weeks, and looking forward to some time in the bush again. Taking the 7mm this time, maybe the 50cal muzzleloader another time, its a good stick to help the old geezer up those steep hills.
    Good luck, some good country there

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Hi Hamish, as I live in Northland, a trip to good hunting means a lot of travel from here, but with a great friend now living near Palmerston North, I can stay with him,
    and get to have a look around there. Having visited that part of the country a couple of times lately, I am wondering why I am living in the forgotten land.

DKR
    Hello, names Damian. Looking at switching from collecting militaria and getting more into hunting since i have recently moved. Looking to sell off a bit of my collection and parts to help fund that. Just saw i have to have 5 posts to get involved! explains why my sale posts didnt pop up i guess.