Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: From NA to NZ

Ok, have a few more questions.

1) First, and likely most important, the subject of importation. After I've received my licenses I'm looking to bring some of my rifles over. They're a mix of A and E category, so I'm curious if anyone has dealt with that. Some could be converted to A category while others I would prefer to not do so as they're rarer guns. I also see that many of our firearms are considerably cheaper in Canada, so it would make sense for me to bring my firearms than spend a ton to buy duplicates there. Does anyone have experience bringing multiple firearms to New Zealand, or importing firearms?

From the government legislation website I see that each application is done through a local police station, and from the police website (Firearms approved for use in New Zealand Approved firearms | New Zealand Police ) I see that there are considerable numbers of firearms not on the list of "approved" guns. Does this mean if I can't find my gun (say an AR15 with thumbhole stock, no flashhider and limited magazine) on the list, they'll resist its importation?

2) Is mag capacity (7 rounds or less for semi autos) the sole defining feature, or is appearance of holding more than 10 rounds also a trigger for becoming an MSSA/E cat?

I ask because I was reading the legal definition of an MSSA and found this bit:
    https://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearm...newzealand.php
    (iii) a magazine (other than one designed to hold 0.22-inch rimfire cartridges) that—
    (A) is capable of holding more than 7 cartridges; or
    (B) is detachable, and by its appearance indicates that it is capable of holding more than 10 cartridges:
    3) On bolt actions there's no issue with MSSA features? IE a lee enfield with bayonet lug and detachable 10 round magazine is ok?

You may bring all your firearms. The 'approved list' is an internal Police document with no legal power. It merely allows District Arms Officers to issue import permits for items on the list without further reference to Police HQ. On arrival some storage will need to be arranged until all your licence endorsements are issued. Send a full list to the Police stating that you intend to apply for all the appropriate endorsements that you already possess in Canada and you should get your import permit OK. Membership of clubs is also to your advantage in getting the endorsements.

Magazine capacity, appearance of magazine, flash hider, bayonet lug, free-standing pistol grip. On semi-autos, any one of these features makes it an MSSA.

There are no restrictions on the features of manually operated rifles and shotguns other than the minimum length of 762mm (30").

I forgot to say that you should bring all your firearms with you. It is not difficult and is a lot easier and cheaper than trying to do it all after you get here. Notify the NZ Police of what you wish to bring well in advance to get the import permit underway, and notify the airline that you are lawfully bring these personal items with you on the flight. If the plane transits through Hawaii then there are US transhipment requirements that need to be met before you fly. Even though you are only transitting through Hawaii, the US authorities would quite happily confiscate them if they don't have advance notice through the airline. Things are a bit tougher than they were years ago but still OK if you give plenty of notice and get all your ducks in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    You may bring all your firearms. The 'approved list' is an internal Police document with no legal power. It merely allows District Arms Officers to issue import permits for items on the list without further reference to Police HQ. On arrival some storage will need to be arranged until all your licence endorsements are issued. Send a full list to the Police stating that you intend to apply for all the appropriate endorsements that you already possess in Canada and you should get your import permit OK. Membership of clubs is also to your advantage in getting the endorsements.

Magazine capacity, appearance of magazine, flash hider, bayonet lug, free-standing pistol grip. On semi-autos, any one of these features makes it an MSSA.

There are no restrictions on the features of manually operated rifles and shotguns other than the minimum length of 762mm (30").
    I forgot to say that you should bring all your firearms with you. It is not difficult and is a lot easier and cheaper than trying to do it all after you get here. Notify the NZ Police of what you wish to bring well in advance to get the import permit underway, and notify the airline that you are lawfully bring these personal items with you on the flight. If the plane transits through Hawaii then there are US transhipment requirements that need to be met before you fly. Even though you are only transitting through Hawaii, the US authorities would quite happily confiscate them if they don't have advance notice through the airline. Things are a bit tougher than they were years ago but still OK if you give plenty of notice and get all your ducks in a row.

That's great info, very much appreciated. Good to know about transiting through the US, as they've got their own unique brand of laws that I have no interest in falling afoul of.

So in your view the best bet is to contact the NZ Police and inform them in advance, then bring everything with me. I will be able to go back to Canada, so it may also work to get my licenses and storage arranged then bring everything on that trip. I really don't want to risk a bureaucratic decision that costs me my favorite rifles, so unless bringing my firarms must be done as part of my move I may delay bringing them to make sure everything's ok.

If you are going to make a second trip after you have got your endorsements and security organised, that would simplify things, however you would need to have your NZ Import Permit in your possesion before you left NZ on the second trip.

If you bring everything with you on the first trip after contacting the NZ Police with a list of the items, you will have to arrange storage of your guns with a suitably licenced person or dealer when you arrive. In any event, so long as you have gone through all the correct steps with the Police, there is no way that your guns will be confiscated. The Police and Customs are obliged to give you time to get all the licence details sorted. If, for some unforseeable reason, you are not permitted to keep some of your guns then the Police must allow them to be sold to some licensed person. If they decided to keep them (highly unlikely) they are then obliged to compensate you for them at the current NZ market value. Subject to having the correct endorsements, there is no restriction on the types of firearm you may own in NZ.

From what I've read, no one has explained to you that getting a B endorsement requires you to already be a member of an NZ club and been to x amount of shoots over x amount of time.

In saying that, I sure as hell hope there's some sort of way around this (as long as you join a club when you get here) for people such as yourself moving to the country, especially when you have much the same rule where you currently are.

I would if I were you, make a phone call to a NZ arms officer and discuss ALL of these things with them on the phone, take your time and ask every question you could ever have, then come back to ask to clarify anything you may not be sure about.

Firearms offices and contact details | New Zealand Police

If you are going to make a second trip after you have got your endorsements and security organised, that would simplify things, however you would need to have your NZ Import Permit in your possesion before you left NZ on the second trip.

If you bring everything with you on the first trip after contacting the NZ Police with a list of the items, you will have to arrange storage of your guns with a suitably licenced person or dealer when you arrive. In any event, so long as you have gone through all the correct steps with the Police, there is no way that your guns will be confiscated. The Police and Customs are obliged to give you time to get all the licence details sorted. If, for some unforseeable reason, you are not permitted to keep some of your guns then the Police must allow them to be sold to some licensed person. If they decided to keep them (highly unlikely) they are then obliged to compensate you for them at the current NZ market value. Subject to having the correct endorsements, there is no restriction on the types of firearm you may own in NZ.

Very good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    From what I've read, no one has explained to you that getting a B endorsement requires you to already be a member of an NZ club and been to x amount of shoots over x amount of time.

In saying that, I sure as hell hope there's some sort of way around this (as long as you join a club when you get here) for people such as yourself moving to the country, especially when you have much the same rule where you currently are.

I would if I were you, make a phone call to a NZ arms officer and discuss ALL of these things with them on the phone, take your time and ask every question you could ever have, then come back to ask to clarify anything you may not be sure about.

Firearms offices and contact details | New Zealand Police

Thanks for the heads up Jexla! I'd seen that section for the B endorsement firearms, so was avoiding it for the time being. At least handguns are easier to ship, so if it takes some time to organize that it won't cost me a kidney to get them over here when the time comes.

Thank you as well for the firearms officer link - I had been looking but didn't see that there was a way to directly contact them.