Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Newbie Yank

Newbie Yank

Good day everyone!

I'm Marcus H, 38 and from Ohio in the states. Living down in south Tennessee so I'm the definition of a Yankee even here. Absolutely love hunting and have been doing it since a little kid on our farm, mostly squirrel, deer, turkeys and any predator that decided to play the game. Just in the last few years I've really picked up bow hunting for big mulies out west and have been hooked with traveling ever since. I usually travel to 7-8 states every spring for turkey hunting alone. I'm a spot and stalk type of guy by heart and love the challenge. Some of my best days in the woods and mtns have been simply getting close to what I'm after and just enjoying being out even when I came home empty. I'm usually a lone hunter since all my friends have kids now days and these hunting trips are all I have besides working my life away, in which I travel all the time as a lineman.
    New Zealand has been a dream hunt for many years but wanted a little to late when I finally got my passport the beginning of 2020. We all know how they went. Actually, was not planning on a trip for another 2 years but got a gap in work and very last minute pulled the trigger. I do have a guide service starting the 31st of May and against everyone's advice I know, including the guides haha, I'm bringing my bow and getting after it on the days I'm not with them. I'm not looking at running into anything within bow range but I believe being out there will still be more than worth it. I was told bowhunting is tough in the winter but I think it's tough anywhere and all the time so I'm not discouraged one bit. That's the game I like.

So just wanted to say hi and if you see a lost Yankee up in the mtns near Queenstown, feel free to wave and laugh, but know I'm probably loving every second of it! 🤣

Good luck to all with the rest of your seasons, I've seen some beautiful deer and stag on here, congrats and wish you all the best!

If anyone has some trips out west for mule deer and what not, in the states this year, feel free to hit me up!
    Marcus
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Pengy, EmpireSafaris and JSV like this.

welcome, whats that bow you are using?
    SouthBuckeye likes this.

Thanks! I use two bows but will be using my newest one, Elite Era 72lbs. I have an older Elite Pulse that's my rock but this one's been working good for me and alot lighter being carbon.

Welcome aboard! Excellent pics too.
    SouthBuckeye likes this.

Welcome mate and good luck
    SouthBuckeye likes this.

Thank you! I bought an actual camera for this trip so hoping to get some good mtn pics!

Thanks Harry!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome aboard. I have never understood the fascination you fellahs in the states have with hunting turkey's, the bloody things are everywhere here. I am sure that you will have done your homework on hunting our alpine country but even so, be prepared for the worst as the weather can turn life threateningly dangerous in a heart beat.
    SouthBuckeye likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

�� I call it a sickness! Something about chasing thunder chickens all over God's creation has just gotten in my bones.. But, I absolutely love making turkey nuggets too lol. Best believe if I can find an area with turkeys near where I'm going the hunt will be on ha. My friends would die in laughter if I said I went all the way to New Zealand just to get another gobbler.
    I haven't looked much at the alpine country and will be a new experience all around. I was looking to get more into some elevation but realize the weather probably has the deer and what not, besides tahr, alot lower. I'm pretty keen on weather and know mtns tend to make their own. I'm a cold weather guy but I'm not arrogant when I see a storm rolling in and i definitely pay attention before I head in and during. Thank you for the heads up though!

If u get bored look me up mate
    SouthBuckeye likes this.

Will do! I've got a solid 12-13 days, just going with the flow once I get there this Monday

Welcome from Australia.

It's not as good as NZ but we have some decent hunting here too.

I'm hoping to get over to the states in the next couple of years to hunt, but my passion is traditional muzzleloaders. Seems to restrict or help depending on the state and what you're after. For me a big mulie is my bucket list animal.

It's a friendly group here, hang around.
    SouthBuckeye likes this.

Who's the guide u using down here?
    SouthBuckeye likes this.

Thanks Bavarian! My advice on hunting the states is to do it sooner than later. It's sad to say the state of things are not guaranteed anymore. It's why I'm even trying to hunt more states as of late because it's hard to tell how much longer we'll get to enjoy what we have now. Most states are a draw only when it comes to mule deer and the other states that were over the counter are heading that way and limited tags unless you live in that state. Big mulies are something that I've come to love though and it's for sure worth it!
    My good friends dad actually builds traditional muzzleloaders from start to finish, including the cutting and shaping of the stocks out of a solid block of wood. It's truly an art and they're dang accurate for hunting too! Haha They have a big traditional/family muzzleloader shoot every year.

Padox, I'm going with Oddsy's but it's just for a few days. They seem like good people and enjoyed talking to them. Doing Stag and Tahr. I'm going to possibly try fallow buck on my own, just going to be a learning curve of finding the public areas that hold them. I went ahead and got the DOC permits for areas around Queenstown up towards Wanaka, so planning on hunting them just like I would in the mtns out west here.