Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: NZ Wood for Chisel Handle

NZ Wood for Chisel Handle

I'm planning to make some handles for several mortice chisel blades, that came to me without handles. I'm not very familiar with what is needed: obviously fairly shockproof/non-splitting, turns OK, etc. Do any of you woodworkers have recommendations for a good wood(s) to consider for making the chisel handles out of please?

All my ancient chisels (great greay uncle's circa WWI) have a steel ring around the top of the wooden handles to stop splitting.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yes, I'm planning to put a steel hoop around the top and another around the ferrule on the neck of the blade. I'm a bit puzzled by the kind of wood that I should be looking out for for the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    All my ancient chisels (great greay uncle's circa WWI) have a steel ring around the top of the wooden handles to stop splitting.
    yes I would do the same zimmer steel or brass should be a must really - native well puriri first choice .kanuka . akeake should all be okay red beech possibly intruduced - hard to go past the aussie hardwoods i.e railway sleeper old power pole

Tanekaha is extremely tough . . ...

I've got a set with something similar to Rewarewa, they look great and have taken a hell of a beating.
    Fitted with ferruls top and bottom.

From my futile attempts at splitting maire, I'd happily make some handles from it. In fact, I might turn one up for the hell of it.
    norsk likes this.

NZ native woods: I’d try Marie if you can get some and shape it as it’s like steel. Next, I’d try matai; hard wearing and should be easy enough to find. Perhaps Puriri as used by early farmers for posts. Perhaps hickory, as a Nth American timber?

Puriri, like ironwood...

Also try demo yards for old wall stud material from old villas. Usually heart rimu, totara or the like. A Paslode framing gun struggles to drive a 3in nail into it.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Black mairie, used to be used for golf stick heads, it's not black though, pururi, and kanuka would be good choices.

Thanks chaps for the suggestions. All very helpful. I'm in Chch so the more southerly timbers are more likely for me to be able to source.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Thanks chaps for the suggestions. All very helpful. I'm in Chch so the more southerly timbers are more likely for me to be able to source.
    I know you are keen on a NZ Native but if you could get a genuine hickory handle for a shovel and make your handles out of that

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    I'm planning to make some handles for several mortice chisel blades, that came to me without handles. I'm not very familiar with what is needed: obviously fairly shockproof/non-splitting, turns OK, etc. Do any of you woodworkers have recommendations for a good wood(s) to consider for making the chisel handles out of please?
    Have a piece of ironbark if you want it
    Barry the hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    Have a piece of ironbark if you want it
    perfect

NZ Wood for Chisel Handle

Most of the eucalyptus sp should be fine.
    You could also use hickory from an old shovel handle or wagon spokes etc if some about. Oak would also work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk