Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: NZ Wood for Chisel Handle

I agree about kanuka , esp if you chose a bit with some knotting in it. Not easily split for sure.

V old rimu and totara are hard but would still split if given a pounding, totara especially. I've split enough for kindling wood to know.

Banned
    Tried manuka?

Its heavy and hard and looks great polished and oiled. Ive used it to make knitting needles..... ( no - I dont knit...)
    6x47 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Black mairie, used to be used for golf stick heads, it's not black though, pururi, and kanuka would be good choices.
    Not to be confused with 'Black Mariah' - Paddy wagon
    SmokeyJason likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Thanks chaps for the suggestions. All very helpful. I'm in Chch so the more southerly timbers are more likely for me to be able to source.
    As you are close, I can offer Ausi hardwood powerpole / crossarms - couple of sorts, Kanuka and old Oak
    Micky Duck likes this.

Blackthorn from hedges makes good strong handles but needs to be dried or it splits.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Here's a bit of hawthorne I made into a walking stick. I was chopping up some of the neighbour's old hawthorne trees, some up to ~350mm trunk. In a thicket, one had fallen over at some stage and one branch had put up some shoots up to about 35mm diam. I immediately recognised they would make good walking sticks as they're strong for their weight and the grain direction was ideal for a handle

Name:  IMG-6451.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  2.26 MB

Gave a couple away to folks who could use them

Hope your fine walking stick assists with your impediment....

I need several for my imoediments, especially thehead ones
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Thanks chaps for the suggestions. All very helpful. I'm in Chch so the more southerly timbers are more likely for me to be able to source.
    my thinking -lancewood or manuka -ratr-though its rarer that rocking horse shit .for timber odds&sods try musgrovesat wigram -never know what you might turn up FBmarketplace another option.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Hope your fine walking stick assists with your impediment....
    I'm not quite at the zimmer frame yet
    Though I might be a tad crippled tomorrow- just sprayed 60 litres on thistles on steep slopes today. A lot of in and out of the SxS..
    zimmer and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    I'm not quite at the zimmer frame yet
    Though I might be a tad crippled tomorrow- just sprayed 60 litres on thistles on steep slopes today. A lot of in and out of the SxS..
    Did a whole lot in our largest paddock yesterday.They were beyond grubbing so used the tractor bucket and made a bloody mess. All that shit is growing like mad at present.

Now, back to wood for handles.

I have made chisel handles from Rimu when I was young and didn't know better and they did not last at all. Split pretty quickly without hitting them at all. I also made some tool handles from manuka and that has survived very well. Pururi is a good choice also. Personally I would go and buy a hickory shovel handle, cheap and already mostly shaped for you.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    NZ native woods: I’d try Marie if you can get some and shape it as it’s like steel. Next, I’d try matai; hard wearing and should be easy enough to find. Perhaps Puriri as used by early farmers for posts. Perhaps hickory, as a Nth American timber?
    matai splits easily..marie is a bitch to turn...rewarewa is too but super tough.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Tedz50 and Moa Hunter very kindle gave me several different kinds of very tough wood to try out my woodworking skills on. I'll post a photo or two when I get the the handles made. thanks for all of the good advise. I really appreciate the knowledge and experience.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.