Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Restore gun stock. Will it ruin value of rifle

Working now. I cropped this one and re saved. It. Possibly that has helped the cause

When you upload to pc and they are not orientated correctly, if you do correct it they will auto save. Maybe that's whats going down?

Anyway all good now....

Quote Originally Posted by rs200nz View Post
    Just using a PC. Image is correct orientation on my PC and as soon as I insert into post it rotates it 90 degrees left lol. I'll try this random pic

Attachment 34913
    You captured @Maca49 in a way many have failed to do before
    rs200nz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    What value does it have now? How long do you intend to own it. If you do the stock is it to enhance it for your own enjoyment? What is its value going to increase by in the future in its current state? I've come to the conclusion that unless I'm extremely lucky at a garage sale or the fleas, there ain't much I NZ I could afford to own that's going to make me a fortune by collecting it. I collect things I enjoy myself and want to own and will hold their value over the time I'm their guardian. Only things different to that are those things with sentimental value. So if you'll enjoy it more by doing the stock, go for it. When you die, no other bastard will give a shit?
    Hi Maca, I paid 600 for it and have seen them go recently for about 900. I just don't want to find that after getting it re-stained that it drops massively in value and becomes worthless because I have fiddled with it.

Well you've got $300.00 to play with, if you get your bucks back your even if you get $900 for it your ahead, if you increase its value your a winner, if you total f**k it up you've loss $600 and you have had the enjoyment!! Wheres the negative??
    rs200nz likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Personally I would do very little to it. Original P14s (even Eddystones ) are now fetching good money - as you have pointed out. I would strip it down, being careful not to mangle any screws and I would maybe clean any surface rust, if you haven't already done so, with fine steel wool and oil. Clean out any congealed oil inside the wood work and that's it. Be very careful doing anything substantial to the stock exterior. When I was young I purchased a Hollis Cavalry Snider complete with saddle ring. I took to the stock confident I could clean it up and then "re-age" it. The gun is still in my possession and every time I drag it out I cringe, the stock condition is so obviously not correct for its vintage and life's usage. I know damn well that what I did actually decreased its value to a collector.

I'll buy it Zimmer I like shooting them, handling them, and looking at the workmanship. They're made to be used, I'm only here for a short time so I'm going to enjoy them. I can't take them or the bucks with me.
    Toby likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I'll buy it Zimmer I like shooting them, handling them, and looking at the workmanship. They're made to be used, I'm only here for a short time so I'm going to enjoy them. I can't take them or the bucks with me.
    Ha ha Maca the problem was when I bought it I was well into BP and only bought it as a shooter (and it was quite successful at that) but now all these years later I now view it no longer as a shooter but as an antique and wish the hell I hadn't tried to "tidy" it up. What I did to it didn't make it shoot any better.
    Incidentally I shot BP a couple of times at a range which I can only vaguely say was south of Tauranga but not as south as Pyes Pa. Where do you currently shoot. Sorry about going OT OP.