Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Salmon987
  • 1 Post By Bill999
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By Oldbloke

Thread: Rifle Stock Repair

Rifle Stock Repair

Hi all.

I thought I might post some pictures of a current repair project in case it is of interest to someone. Any opinions, ideas or tips are gratefully received..

Name:  IMG_6495.JPG
Views: 614
Size:  8.42 MB

The rifle is a Tikka m65 with the original sporter style stock (with some unfortunate modifications). I didn't take any before pictures before I started repairing bubba's efforts, but the barrel channel had been hacked off to make room for the larger profile barrel that the action recieved at some point in the rifle's life. This was presumably easier than opening up the barrel channel and was done with a construction handsaw.

As hopefully can be seen, I have tidied up the cut downwards, then flattened the base to enable a new piece of wood (rimu i think) to be glued in to the rebate. This has since been roughly shaped to match the contours of the stock as is. It is certainly not perfect and I would do it better next time, but hopefully you will agree that its an improvement.

Name:  IMG_6490.JPG
Views: 583
Size:  4.16 MB

Still a fair bit of fine finishing to go, and the project has been a WIP for longer than I care to admit. What finish would you recommend? I was thinking of a paint but haven't really got a strong opinion in any particular direction.
    FRST, csmiffy and Southcity like this.

cracking start, have you thought about maybe a thin coat of resin over it to give it that target rifle look, or maybe a truck bed liner?
    the world really is your oyster

I had a butchered brno stock that I cleaned up then painted black it was great right up till I painted it
    csmiffy likes this.

I'm not a fan of the paint look. Well that's not really correct. Sometime they are a great idea and look good but I prefer the look of a normal wood rifle stock if possible.
    You have done a great job on that so far so I wouldn't paint it.
    canross likes this.

Boiled Linseed Oil looks good. Nice satin finish. I'm currently working on a Brno 22 for (with) my Grandson. Here is a link to another forum in OZ with some images and what I have been doing. Just 1 coat so far.

https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13864 Hope that is OK with admin?
    canross likes this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

are the stripes, dots on the shoulder of the stock bodyfiller/putty?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    Boiled Linseed Oil looks good. Nice satin finish. I'm currently working on a Brno 22 for (with) my Grandson. Here is a link to another forum in OZ with some images and what I have been doing. Just 1 coat so far.

https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13864 Hope that is OK with admin?
    I didnt notice that. Some of the pros use brown sealing wax for filling in small failts/holes. Heat and push in with a blade. But might be too late now.

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. In answer the question about the filler used near the butt plate. That is the remnants of a mound of filler used to fill in the concave shaped butt to fit an oval shaped limbsaver.

I think the concave shape can been seen in the photos (just). Its another slight problem, as I'd like to fit a butt plate myself. Being such an irregular shape, however, I'm not sure I'll be able to grind one in that far. Still, I like it much better as is than with the mound of white filler there as it was when I bought it, so perhaps I'll just have to harden up some!