Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Fit and proper. Be careful

Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

probably more of a case of dont be stoopid ........driving under the influence with a shotgun and 150 rounds of ammo in the boot after a "domestic" incident with his brother, might not have lost his licence if he left the shotgun in the safe
    tetawa, BRADS, Steve123 and 4 others like this.

Ya, DUI with firearms onboard should absolutely lose you your licence.
    Nic likes this.

DUI without firearms involved COULD be enough for loss of firearms license.

I don't know the background but from what I read on here I don't see it as a stupid ruling.

What does seem stupid is if he was in another sport (League, Union etc) would they have cut him a bit more slack.
    veitnamcam, tetawa, Rushy and 6 others like this.

Hmmm https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-...uitted/9018384

So it is not all as it seems, it appears the latest judge is still treating him as though he was guilty of the firearms charges. DUI aside it sounds a little like he is made a scapegoat.

Banned
    My addition to this discussion is - dont think this wont happen here. You are guilty until you prove your innocence on firearms matters
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    Hmmm https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-...uitted/9018384

So it is not all as it seems, it appears the latest judge is still treating him as though he was guilty of the firearms charges. DUI aside it sounds a little like he is made a scapegoat.
    Not at all surprising, even before you link @vulcannz I thought he was being scapegoatted. For a democratic society, the Aussie authorities really hate 'the people' having legally owned firearms. Even more so than the poms I reckon

They must be afraid of something
    outlander and Fatberg like this.

Despite what a government may say, they are all interested in having power over the people, firearms are a most important threat to governmental power, so a government is always in favor of strengthening this power base.
    I am of the opinion the our new Government will not remove this registration folly, but will accept it, blaming the prior government for the trouble it causes.

Quote Originally Posted by noelfj View Post
    Despite what a government may say, they are all interested in having power over the people, firearms are a most important threat to governmental power, so a government is always in favor of strengthening this power base.
    I am of the opinion the our new Government will not remove this registration folly, but will accept it, blaming the prior government for the trouble it causes.

I can only hope you’re wrong with that last comment.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Just don't drink and drive? Seems pretty simple.
    Tahr, Seventenths, Slug and 4 others like this.

What a load of malarkey, Jeeze going by the courts comments you’d think he was another Martin Bryant heading to do a massacre!
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Still, to be fair the rules on that one are fairly clear and driving under the influence is a known self-inflicted dumbarse moment doesn't really matter here or Aus to be fair. Capping it off with a firearm, with ammo to make it complete and functioning is really a 'you win the stupid prize' moment. Not sure about it being a fair comment about scapegoating him, if it wasn't a sportsperson it just wouldn't be newsworthy.

Also, one could argue that at the level of competition he was in there is no way he could claim ignorance of the rules and that he was unaware of any of the requirements.
    outlander likes this.

They need some balance in these rulings. This is a professional shooter whose livelihood depended on being able to possess firearms. He obviously made a big mistake, but is he really a danger to the public by owning a firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    DUI without firearms involved COULD be enough for loss of firearms license.
    Met a chap last duck shooting season who’d had his FAL suspended due to DUI. Was an eye opener for him and his mates, that’s for sure……was local knowledge that this certain group of individuals in the district were not acting fit and proper during duck shooting season yet could afford good lawyers to get themselves out of the shit in conjunction with the cops not being able to pin it on anyone in the group. When old mates DUI happened he got nailed quick smart.
    Micky Duck and outlander like this.