Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: More stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Taken from the police Arms Code. NOT law. NOT regulation.

Are you willing to accept police made up policy? Like their policies around MSSA length, safe wall thickness, caliber import restrictions, special reasons etc.
    ...but the courts create common law, which in the absence of a legislative definition will apply. Arguing on the internet and living in your ivory tower (or under your bridge...) proves nothing - it is for the courts to determine parliaments intention.
    10ring's definition of immediate above gives the literal and practical interpretation that a court will rely on.
    I'm not going to look through case law to prove a point, over the internet with a cock who likes arguing - I can't be bothered.
    keneff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    No need to cringe. It was very different back then Zimmer. At 12 I was shooting rats with a .22 at the dump in Newells Road in Tokoroa and I sure as hell wasn't dropped off out there. Kid, bike, rifle across handle bars. No one thought twice about seeing a kid with a rifle back then. Despite the over regulated world we live in, I bet there are still places in this country where kids that age and younger are still shooting bunnies by themselves and are perfectly safe in doing so because they have been drilled in how to properly handle a firearm since they were old enough to walk across a paddock with their old man. For those of you that have grown up wrapped in the cotton wool of modern nanny state legislation I would note that this is not me being an advocate for illegal activities, it is just the pragmatist in me saying that it will still be happening.
    Indeed. Thee was quite a different attitude and those kids clearly had a level of maturity that was acceptable. ( I would go as far as suggest a rural upbringing perhaps)

But todays society has had a significant attitude shift too. Back then most people knew what rifles did, and understood their function. If you were walking in town with a firearm slung over your shoulder, they knew that maybe you did not want to leave it in the vehicle for whatever reason. Or that you were popping into town on the way to a hunt etc. They trusted you to know that it was safe and that you had a valid reason for having it with you. Nowadays they are more likely to phone 111 screaming MURDER, MURDER, MURDER every time they see a canvas gunbag......We seem to be breeding drama queens rather than sensible people.

But its not all bad. The same attitude back the also seemed to apply to drink driving. Even as late as the 80s it was considered unlucky if you got caught driving drunk. The car seemed to know its own way home......Now the attitude if you get caught is more "you idiot, why were you dumb enough to think you should drive?". Note that the law has not changed much. It was illegal then as much a sit is illegal now, but the attitude towards it being acceptable or unacceptable has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Taken from the police Arms Code. NOT law. NOT regulation.

Are you willing to accept police made up policy? Like their policies around MSSA length, safe wall thickness, caliber import restrictions, special reasons etc.
    So to clarify, Are you saying the Arms code is wrong? Or unreasonable?

I agree thats it's not law just because it is in the Arms code. But if I am supervising an unlicensed shooter, that is what I do, not because I believe the Arms code to be law, but because I believe it is the right thing to do by the person I am responsible for. While they are under my supervision, it is my responsibility to ensure they are safe no matter what happens.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    So to clarify, Are you saying the Arms code is wrong? Or unreasonable?

I agree thats it's not law just because it is in the Arms code. But if I am supervising an unlicensed shooter, that is what I do, not because I believe the Arms code to be law, but because I believe it is the right thing to do by the person I am responsible for. While they are under my supervision, it is my responsibility to ensure they are safe no matter what happens.
    You could certainly do a lot worse than using the Code as a best practice guideline. Good on you.
    keneff likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

No need to cringe. It was very different back then Zimmer. At 12 I was shooting rats with a .22 at the dump in Newells Road in Tokoroa and I sure as hell wasn't dropped off out there. Kid, bike, rifle across handle bars. No one thought twice about seeing a kid with a rifle back then. Despite the over regulated world we live in, I bet there are still places in this country where kids that age and younger are still shooting bunnies by themselves and are perfectly safe in doing so because they have been drilled in how to properly handle a firearm since they were old enough to walk across a paddock with their old man. For those of you that have grown up wrapped in the cotton wool of modern nanny state legislation I would note that this is not me being an advocate for illegal activities, it is just the pragmatist in me saying that it will still be happening.
    Ah! The Newell Road dump. Brings back many .22 rat shooting memories at 13/14 years old. Thanks Rushy.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing...
    ...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Ah! The Newell Road dump. Brings back many .22 rat shooting memories at 13/14 years old. Thanks Rushy.
    It was part of growing up in the town. How did you get out there back in the day?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

It was part of growing up in the town. How did you get out there back in the day?
    Biked out, usually with my mate sitting on the crossbar. Passing motorists used to wave to us.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Biked out, usually with my mate sitting on the crossbar. Passing motorists used to wave to us.
    I rest my case! It is a different world we live in now (mores the pity)but I would like to think that in some small corner of the country that still happens.
    Wirehunt likes this.

I rest my case! It is a different world we live in now (mores the pity)but I would like to think that in some small corner of the country that still happens.
    Agreed, hope it does.

frankly within arms length seems the safest bloody option from any way you want to view it.

Didnt get up to grabbin a .22 and goin to the dump but hey bows of lancewood with toitoi arows tipped with a nail or as cousins taught us a flattened .303 shell filed to a sharp point accounted for more than a few birds .

can also remember dad shooting possums in his shed .buggers used to come down from bush at back of moana and sit up in the rafters tormenting him as he cut the kindling.his 12g sxs accounted for quite few -maybe thats where my love of jacko shooting came from.

That reminds me -whos up for a good old shanghai-single rubber from old red car tube with a boot tongue as a pouch for ya rock
    .hell we had some battles with those.
    brother mate and i were up at our bush hut one day ,decided on a bit of fun.me with mates old ww2 tin hat on dives intosome shit in a gulley whilst boys take cover behind a big rimu and it was all on.I had both of em covered with my shots ricocheting off the tree till one of them bowled me arse over elbow with a high velocity rock on the lid.ears rang world spun and it left a dent ,but hey it was a war wound so all was fair.
    would i try that today-yup had a shanghai in the garage for quite a while till it disappeared -suspect daughter who may have seen me taking aim at a mangy cat crapping in the wifes flower bed.
    my kids wouldnt have clue when it comes to hi jinks like that,
    i must admit all the bloody women in our house have out shot me with my.22 at times as i "tutored" them
    son is not interested altho at times when he is pissed off with a car hes working on i get "old mancan ya grab ya 12g and put this piece of shit to sleep"
    his mates tend to get a little nervous at this stage.wonder why???
    zimmer likes this.

Ah kotuku getting to be an old duffers thread this one and OT but who cares.

Yeah, rumaged around the local tip for old shoes/boots for the tongues to make the pouches for the shanghais. Remember us kids finding some french letters at the same time and wondering what they were. Couldn't see any use for making a shanghai.

Marbles (although valuable) were very accurate for the stray cats.

Local cop (lived out in the suburbs in cop house) came to school one day to warn the class about all the power insulators that had been busted on a certain road.
    Put the fear of Christ up us, we were sure he stared up down individually and therefore sure he knew of our guilt.

How we never lost eyes in the shanghai fight has got be beat.

Ah, the sinple pleasures of days gone by.

We used to shoot rats at the Wanaka dump , locals dropping off rubbish were pleased to see us .. we put a plank across the top of a skip and shot all the bottles we could find . had to walk up and down the Cardrona river bed to get there and back ............ and twernt me what shot the insulators on Maxwell road either ........or the hippie,s cat ( sorry Dennis ) . When I bought my 1st ( own ... not Dads ) rifle ( a ss BSA with an aperture sight ) I walked home from the gun shop in Bridge st to Fell house .... no worries . Most kids today are plain fucking stupid when it comes to common sense .... we are breeding it out of them
    Wirehunt likes this.
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    .... we are breeding it out of them
    Sadly they are trying to stop us breeding it into them now too.

Hell yes shanghai's battles were fun as were bamboo pea shooters in a classroom. The daddy of them all was fencing staples from a big arsed rubber band. Fuck they hurt.
    shift14 and Boaraxa like this.

You old buggers are describing my childhood.
    I'd get home from primary school, grab a 22 (Winchester model 61 pump) and go off shooting rabbits. Usually have one skinned and gutted in time for mum to cook it for tea. Dad gave me a 303 for my eleventh birthday. I was only allowed to use it under supervision to start with, but it was "mine" and that felt so good.
    Sometimes I would stay at a mates place on weekends. Their neighbours were real rough shots. We would all meet down at a duck pond and have wars with staples like Rushy mentioned. One side would be in the boat so they were the navy. The ones on land were the army. The navy were sitting ducks and usually got the crap shot out of them. Shit we wasted some batten staples. We got a few injuries to. No eyes luckily though.
    I've never been shooting rats at the dump though. Something I have always wanted to do.
    mikee and kotuku like this.