Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: surrender your FAL

surrender your FAL

Talking to the son of a friend last night over dinner. He registered a change of address as required (has a FAL but no guns). Apparently, as he was moving into a rental apartment in which he could not install a gun safe he was asked to surrender his licence or face arrest.

Apparently the new law changes require FAL holders to have secure storage, and without it, you don't have the right to hold the licence. Sort of makes sense, but seems OTT.
    Moa Hunter and kruza like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I can understand the view point but it is complete nonsense.
    timattalon and 300CALMAN like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

But you must have secure storage where you live even if you don't have any firearms where you live.
    My mate was told the same, as he holds a FAL but doesn't own any firearms.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

The licence vetters can apply discretion to this. They did with my son very recently when he renewed his licence. He doesn't currently own any but occasionally uses some of mine.

Shit.
    I know a person who lives abroad and holds a NZ Firearms licence as well as a NZ drivers licence. Will he/she need to surrender both as they do not own a car or a gun in New Zealand?

Such grace, much kindness, totally transparent, big hug.
    madjon_, 7mmwsm, tetawa and 11 others like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Just one of the reasons I had the storage in the caravan signed off.

Just show them a chain, padlock and hot water cylinder as that is allowed for security.

Really???

Padlock + chain + hot water cylinder.

A commercial bracket screwed to joist won't get noticed on a flat/house inspection.

B cat FAL is a different story of course.
    jackson21, Moa Hunter and Sideshow like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Really???

Padlock + chain + hot water cylinder.

A commercial bracket screwed to joist won't get noticed on a flat/house inspection.

B cat FAL is a different story of course.
    Yes really for one rifle is fine I was told by the local arms officer here

This is the reason farmlands got out of selling ammo, it wasn't the issue of all staff needing a FAL it was all staff needed a safe at home to hold a FAL

Quote Originally Posted by schwen View Post
    Talking to the son of a friend last night over dinner. He registered a change of address as required (has a FAL but no guns). Apparently, as he was moving into a rental apartment in which he could not install a gun safe he was asked to surrender his licence or face arrest.

Apparently the new law changes require FAL holders to have secure storage, and without it, you don't have the right to hold the licence. Sort of makes sense, but seems OTT.
    I don't think this is anything new. If you have an FAL you can at any moment acquire a firearm. Therefore you must have a mechanism for safely securing it. While that does not encompass the question of how many firearms you may need storage for, showing security for even one at least shows you understand the responsibility of an FAL holder, I guess. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think secure storage for at least one firearm has always been required..
    Moa Hunter, Cordite and HG Man like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    I don't think this is anything new. If you have an FAL you can at any moment acquire a firearm. Therefore you must have a mechanism for safely securing it. While that does not encompass the question of how many firearms you may need storage for, showing security for even one at least shows you understand the responsibility of an FAL holder, I guess. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think secure storage for at least one firearm has always been required..
    However.

A LFO could purchase a firearm imeadiatly before embarking on a hunting trip, then upon return gift said firearm to another LFO who has a safe.

What consitutes secure storage in Fijordland?
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

The suggestion of a padlock, chain and hot water cylinder seems a sensible one if they are not willing to except that any firearms will be stored at your place.

Following along you must need a garage now if you apply for a drivers licence ??
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

This has always been the case but has previously not been enforced to the letter.
    jackson21 and Russian 22. like this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Until very recently with the shambles of relicencing it was required for the applicants firearms to be stored at another FAL holders safe while the relicencing process was completed, seems that if that was okay with the police then for securing firearms then holding a FAL and keeping your firearm in another safe should be okay now. The safe keeping of a firearm should be on merit and assessed for each individual by the plods, and not a blanket decree is which is not efficient at all. My son will apply next April and I'll give him his own safe at my residence (and his residence) and a rifle he can call his own for licencing purposes if that is what is required.
    veitnamcam and CBH Australia like this.