Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 43 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree734Likes

Thread: Useing the firearms register

Useing the firearms register

Anybody else notice an add in your local paper today? Re useing the new register.
    Particualy the part thats says about 'activating circumstances'
    One of the points stated is manufacturing a firearm or ammunition.
    Does reloading consitute manufacturing ammunition?

I've not seen anything to that effect, certainly I saw mention of ammunition importers/sellers in there somewhere.

I don't think you have anything to worry about there;

https://www.firearmssafetyauthority....our-arms-items
    Moa Hunter likes this.

‘Facts don’t care about your feelings’

Reloading is excluded and ammunition purchases don't become a trigger event for another year or two at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Reloading is excluded and ammunition purchases don't become a trigger event for another year or two at this stage.
    Where have you seen this written @Marty Henry? I thought ammo/powder purchases were a trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Where have you seen this written @Marty Henry? I thought ammo/powder purchases were a trigger.
    Here you go.... note the last line

What is a triggering event ?
    Purchasing or selling a firearm
    Change of address
    Obtaining a permit to possess
    Obtaining an import permit
    Exporting a firearm or “arms item”
    Licence renewal
    Mail order consent form
    An endorsement application
    Receiving an improvement notice
    If you notify police of a stolen firearm
    If you manufacture a firearms or “arms item”
    Ammunition purchase NOTE: this only applies after 24th June 2025.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Exactly, and there's no requirement to register ammunition.
    RUMPY likes this.

Could you imagination the registration of Ammunition - Hmmm - The mind boggles, ok, the purchases be fine, that could be a monthly event, imagine trying to account for the subtractions, Lost? Misfire? Target? Reloaded? Missed? Hit? - BUT I wouldnt be surprised if some half-wit does think it a good idea.

Would it be by the individual (10,000 lines and counting) or the box or crate?
    jpurdon likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Just because I choose to be a contrary bastard, I note that obtaining a permit to possess and obtaining an import permit could in some circumstances be tantamount to closing the stable door before the horse is in (e.g. the permits could be for the applicants very first firearm and therefore at that point in time they have nothing to register). Equally, the mail order consent form could be the same situation. Surely in these three circumstances the trigger that is “purchasing or selling a firearm” is sufficient.

Add to that “if you notify Police of a stolen firearm” as a trigger, it could result in a gross inaccuracy in the register if the stolen firearm is the only one the license holder had and he/she is compelled to add it to the register as if it is still in his/her possession. Similarly so if the “Exporting a firearm” trigger was also for the only firearm in the possession of the license holder.

The more I read, the more I find. “An endorsement application” also implies that the applicant could at that point have no firearms.

Without using colourful word like I am often disposed of doing, “what clever wee Vegemite sanity checked the list of trigger events”?.

Imagine the shit fight if a month after obtaining an import permit the license holder has not yet received their first firearm and the Police get all uppity over not registering what the license holder doesn’t have.
    Last edited by Rushy; 09-06-2023 at 08:49 AM.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

If you do not have any arms items in your possession
    If you do not have any arms items in your possession, you can make a No Arms Items Declaration. You'll be able to do this through our website using MyFirearms or over the phone.

If you share a firearm with other people
    Arms items must be registered only once, by a single licence holder.

If you are responsible for an arms item on behalf of a shooting club or shooting range, you are also responsible for registering that item against your firearms licence number.

If you have temporarily loaned or stored your arms item with someone else
    If, when you go to register all of your arms items, you have temporarily loaned an arms item to another licence holder or are storing it with them for less than 30 days, then you should still register this arms item as if you had it in your possession.

If someone has loaned an arms item to you or you're storing it for them for less than 30 days, it's their responsibility to register it.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Exactly, and there's no requirement to register ammunition.
    Geeze, engraving serial numbers onto each round, and you’ll have to save each cartridge or notify them as lost?
    You can barcode the projectiles
    Fuckwits, the lot of them
    jpurdon likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Ill be on there quickly as the shipment had been delayed meaning my new waypoint will arrive soon after it kicks into effect
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cowan View Post
    If you do not have any arms items in your possession
    If you do not have any arms items in your possession, you can make a No Arms Items Declaration. You'll be able to do this through our website using MyFirearms or over the phone.

If you share a firearm with other people
    Arms items must be registered only once, by a single licence holder.

If you are responsible for an arms item on behalf of a shooting club or shooting range, you are also responsible for registering that item against your firearms licence number.

If you have temporarily loaned or stored your arms item with someone else
    If, when you go to register all of your arms items, you have temporarily loaned an arms item to another licence holder or are storing it with them for less than 30 days, then you should still register this arms item as if you had it in your possession.

If someone has loaned an arms item to you or you're storing it for them for less than 30 days, it's their responsibility to register it.
    I have a 12 gauge single shot, stored for someone, the police know about it. The barrel is full of concrete to disable it.
    Should I register it, or destroy it,
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Geeze, engraving serial numbers onto each round, and you’ll have to save each cartridge or notify them as lost?
    You can barcode the projectiles
    Fuckwits, the lot of them
    If you recall that was one of the most amusing options suggested by Yasmin Beck ? and gun control NZ during the witch trial they had some other goodies as well. It made me think the loonies are really running the asylum when they got included in the "working group" alongside colfo etc

Here's a pic of the advertisementName:  20230609_083327.jpg
Views: 4694
Size:  2.07 MB