Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Beginners gun

Beginners gun

On the lookout for a beginners gun. The oldest lad is busting his balls to have one he can call his own. I started with a Baikel single shot hammer gun, but that was well before we had to use steel. He loves my semi, even tho I only put one up the spout, I believe that if he had a sxs or under/over he would probably appreciate it better, and be able to 'borrow it' for longer. The problem I have,is I don't want to spend much, but want it to be in reasonable condition. Was looking at some of the cheaper new ones, but the more I look the more confused I get. Lots of conflicting stories regarding these brands.
    My question to the knowledgeable out there is,what would ya recommend for this situation. 12G would be the caliber I'm after, just because it's what we carry

Sxs or o&u probably a baikal still make em, 2nd hand can be found fo little dough and they are a good reliable gun. A single shot is also an option quite good from the safety point of view.

GWH
    I've got a stoeger M2000 12g semi that's like new that I'll sell if you're interested. PM me if keen.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    How much do you want to spend mate.?
    And just for info, how old is your oldest?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My first shottie was a Mossberg 500. Still got it, still love it. They make a cheaper version called a Maverick 88 which looks ok.

He's 13 by the way. Looked at a new single shot Norinco, but was choked to tight for steel. Was thinking along the lines of a Turkish gun, but have heard varying stories about quality. As you can tell, I want a lot, but don't want to pay to much,$300 would be tops, unless something special popped up(then I'd probably nab it for myself)
    Already got a stoeger and like it, but he would benefit more by knowing that the first shot has to count. Also the safety factor. You can tell at a glance if it loaded or not. Semi's are hard to tell without working the action

Beginners gun

Get a 20ga double, killwell does the 2.5" subsonic loads, I use them for my 120 year old sxs and they are very gentle to shoot, kill ducks very efficiently though!
    Then you can go the heavier loads once he grows and shoot it for the rest of his life.
    blake likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Get a 20ga double, killwell does the 2.5" subsonic loads, I use them for my 120 year old sxs and they are very gentle to shoot, kill ducks very efficiently though!
    Then you can go the heavier loads once he grows and shoot it for the rest of his life.
    Excellent call and you dont have to piss around with steel.

I have had the 20g and 410 suggested before. I know they're a great gun to learn with, with very little recoil, correct me if I'm wrong, but my way of thinking is that they're a gun you move onto once the 12g gets easy. I view them as a advanced shooters gun, to provide abit more if a challenge, just the X factor. I've been wrong before, so as I said correct me if you think different
    gsp follower and hamsav like this.

I have the new 12g baikal single shot shotguns listed on trade me. A little cheaper for forum members who contact us directly. Pm me for more info if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I have the new 12g baikal single shot shotguns listed on trade me. A little cheaper for forum members who contact us directly. Pm me for more info if you want it.
    $375 on trade me, or $340 on here. Brand new and in the box.

And apparently we have some .410 singles in the same for another $25 extra. Not sure why the .410 is dearer but this is the case.

Thanks for comments. May have to look at the 20g abit harder. I guess no matter what caliber, you've still got to point it in the right direction to hit the target. My only concern was the running cost of the 'sub'calibers. If it's as good as ya reckon, once he's got it sorted, he could do a swap with me. I've got a clay thrower here, so he'll have abit of practice first to work out exactly where to aim before he gets onto the real stuff

Anyone that starts a new shooter with a single shot 12 gauge needs it wrapped around there neck
    Dont start him out with a semi they are an ammo waster in young hands get a good sxs or u/o and teach them to shoot with that will make them a better shot in long run
    gsp follower and MAJOR F like this.

Beginners gun

I learnt many a hard lesson carting around the single barrel 12g. I learnt how to flinch rather well, in fact I was an expert in flinching. My first Parry fell out of the sky because it felt sorry for me.
    Dchild likes this.
    Dan M

Don't just buy a shotty cause its cheap, most of all it must fit your son, other wise he will find it very hard to hit anything.
    The 20g is a good option as you can use lead and not steel on ducks. This is what I found when I went through this with my son he started with a .410 single then a .410 s/s and onto a Rem 12g pump such an under rated gun and safer than a semi.
    Just my thoughts.