Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By john m

Thread: Ithaca shotguns

Ithaca shotguns

Hi does anyone know if there is an importer in NZ that deals in Ithaca shotguns? I love to get my hands on a Model 37 defence pumpy like to one the Uk government stole off me 30 years ago

Antz

I donot think I have ever seen a new Ithaca 37 shotgun in NZ , you may find a old one second hand ? , the main US made shotguns by Mossberg & Remington are readily available thats if one of those will satisfiy you , other than that , chinese knock offs come up now and then , they newer Chinese ones have dual action bars , but are very stiff to operate .

I its just a USA made & designed pump shotgun you are after , I would go either Mossie 590 or a Rem870 , its up to you , these are the best priced new options , of them I go for the Rem870 with either a 18 or 20 inche tube .

Later Chris

Thanks for the reply I like the parkerised finish and also the single load/ejection idea. Like I said I used to have one so to find one again would be fantastic. Maybe possible to import one from the states?

Antz

They do come up second hand but not often.
    This is mine its my favourite pump much smoother than any Mossberg.
    Name:  3 mossbergs 1 Ithaca.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  239.0 KB
    timattalon and Antz like this.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

I had one of the Norinco copy's. They are a IJ4 or YL47 depending on some detail or something. I sold it to a south paw. Only issue I see is they (officialdom) dont like the "streetsweeper" function. Never tried importing but all the best. I did like mie even if it was a chinese copy.

Ithaca are making a trench gun version for some US collectors group ? , it has the long magazine tube and vented handguard and bayonet lug , looks nice , it will be maybe 2-3 times the price of a Rem870 , its up to you how much its worth , another bottom ejector is the Browning BPS , they are very nice .

Steve from Burley Arms (Kapiti coast) was selling Norinco copys for a very reasonable price. From memory the Ithaca factory in upstate New York ceased production some decades ago.