Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Dog training books wanted - help me train my GSP

I think anyone that thinks GSP/GWP are no good on deer are speaking more about themselves than the dog.

Dogs like people are individuals and all have their own idiosyncracies, as I've said before in my experience a fair part of having a good dog is you yourself learning your dog not just vice versa.
    In the same way not everyone you meet barracks for the same rugby/footy team, not every dog locks on hard point, indicates the same way or behaves the same way. It's about reading your dog, and besides when I'm in the bush indicating is far more useful than having a dog lock up whenever it hits a scent, though she does when in real close.

I think people getting into dogs misunderstand what they're for often. They're an aid in helping you hunt, but they won't replace and are not designed to replace your skill and ability as a hunter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    headcase, Ruff and EeeBees like this.

Bavarian Hunter, that is one of the most salient dog related post I believe I have ever read ...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    The blueprint, while some will like it, is about the lowest common denominator in New Zealand dog training. Far more effective and productive methods are available if you seek the right help.
    put up or shut up. Where are all the videos yove promised over the years.

Try watching, there's a lot out there. You Tube, Facebook. I put up years ago. Plenty on this forum have seen what I do. Name the time and place that you, the blueprint fella and me should all turn up somewhere and demonstrate together shall we? First with our own dogs, then with someone else's after 30 minutes work.

Can you even see this?

and to give the reason for my claim.... The system is basically a broken down version the promoter learned from his hunting employer who had developed his methodology in conjunction with Paul Hutton. Not having a huge amount of experience, the person was fooled into believing the method worked because he gained control of the dog, but without realising almost all drive is lost. He also spent a couple of years on this and other forums, pumping myself and others for his info before launching himself as "the best dog trainer in NZ" This is fine, sort of, if the only purpose of the dog is deer or goats, but if it has other uses, such as waterfowl then the bp training may well render it close to hopeless.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

A dual at dawn. Could be a big day out..

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    A dual at dawn. Could be a big day out..
    Everyone also has to bring whiskey and weed... make it interesting.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Bavarian Hunter, that is one of the most salient dog related post I believe I have ever read ...
    If I knew I was going to receive a compliment like that i would have been a little more articulate with that post.
    Hopefully the message hits its mark.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    EeeBees likes this.