Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By Pixie Z
  • 1 Post By Sharki
  • 1 Post By Pixie Z
  • 1 Post By Sharki

Thread: Dog treats

Dog treats

Always amazes me how much pet shops charge for dried deer organs as dog treats. $20 for a 100 gram bag seems to be the going rate for deer liver/heart/lung etc at places like Animates.

Just finished dehydrating and vacuum packing the liver, heart, lungs and kidneys from a recent yearling and ended up with roughly 600 grams worth of treats for the pup (along with a few quality control pieces sampled by him during the process). Not bad for an extra couple kgs in the pack for the hike out.

Name:  42B9501E-F64C-4067-8EB4-FF3FA2A1B5B2.jpeg
Views: 160
Size:  93.0 KBName:  5A089A57-9A77-4883-89DD-16191326E4FC.jpeg
Views: 161
Size:  128.8 KBName:  0A418209-950B-4598-83AA-862583EB85BC.jpeg
Views: 160
Size:  124.6 KBName:  E9421BCE-1715-43E3-81DC-2BC11B091241.jpeg
Views: 166
Size:  97.3 KBName:  102A1077-99A5-4A15-82EE-965B48C51270.jpeg
Views: 158
Size:  81.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    TeRei, rugerman, Andygr and 3 others like this.

My wife loves giving our dogs treats so when we had 2 30kg dogs it got expensive. I did similar and just store a large container of them in the chest freezer. Lungs seam to be the most popular.

20/100 g is dearer than buying rump or fillet and drying it as " biltong and about 2.6 times price of human consumption biltong bought from a shop. WOW that's rich , I cut roo meat in strips of about 1cm
    Hang in full direct sun, kerp flies of with thatvinner curtain mesh stuff, no salt no preservatives , just full sun
    Don't let it get wet or dew on
    Takes about 3
    3or so days to dry , if winter / rain I just r unaa fan o em
    Keep strips thin to aid in drying
    My dog won't get liver, my ms and me fights for it, lungs ain't eaten by many folks outside Asia/ Africa is know of
    Well worth the effort for the wet nose family member
    Pixie Z likes this.

How are you dehydrating the organs @Pixie Z in the oven or a dehydrator?
    cheers

@Sharki definitely expensive. People are prepared to spend big money on their pets so the shops can charge what they want for that stuff.
    @20 Bore I just use the oven as it means I can get a few big trays in at once. A few hours on 50° on fanbake does the trick. I just take it out when it looks eeady
    20 Bore likes this.

@Pixie Z
    M8 our dog was like a child for us as we didn't want children( the cleaning up of urine , faeces, the spew, carrying heavy weights , sleepless nights the sweating and shouting and thats just making them ��
    I do acknowledge it , but don't understand it, some mob in ozzi tested dog treats. Interesting chemical in it. Preservatives colorants etc much higher than permissible 4 humans , the salt level was off yhe charts
    So they might not be doing wetnose any favors
    Pixie Z likes this.

@Sharki yeah same here mate. Agree regarding the stuff they put into treats- that’s another reason I do my own as I know they’re 100% raw product with no additives of any kind.