Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Visla how good are these dogs.?

Train them separate and kennel them separate. The bond should be with you, not with each other. So long as each dog is bonded to you you wont have a problem, if they just bond with each other... nightmare!

I have a Vizsla, my next dog will be a GSP or GWP so that they can handle sitting in the maimai a bit better...
    As a dog for upland game and deer etc where they are working constantly rather than sitting around waiting and getting cold they are very good. Mine dives through blackberrys etc no worries, if hes got his jacket on he thinks hes bullet proof. Pretty hard case dogs, mine wandered up and pulled the curtain open so the sun would shine on his bed then went back and lay down on it this morning

Have used mine on birds more than anything but he is great in the bush after deer as well, just goes into silent mode once he sees you are stalking. I think one of the most important things is what type of dog you can form a good working relationship with

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    I have a Vizsla, my next dog will be a GSP or GWP so that they can handle sitting in the maimai a bit better...
    As a dog for upland game and deer etc where they are working constantly rather than sitting around waiting and getting cold they are very good. Mine dives through blackberrys etc no worries, if hes got his jacket on he thinks hes bullet proof. Pretty hard case dogs, mine wandered up and pulled the curtain open so the sun would shine on his bed then went back and lay down on it this morning

Have used mine on birds more than anything but he is great in the bush after deer as well, just goes into silent mode once he sees you are stalking. I think one of the most important things is what type of dog you can form a good working relationship with
    My last dog was a gwp and had to buy her a wetsuit vest because her teeth used to chatter so loud I was scared the ducks would here her. Well not really but point is didnt like sitting around at all if it was cold. She was a very strong retriever on ducks and geese . Her coat was not as thick as id liked , so choose a" hair ball "pup if you ave a choice.My gsp is better but still feels the cold, have just ordered a dryline vest ready for opening on the ducks.

Some very good kraut GSP blood here and more coming in soon, get it before they get fucked up, watered down and generally tampered with

looking at the profile pics on this thread we are all pointer nuts
    I see your in chch Munsey, once bird season rolls around I could get you out with me to hunt over my dog and see what you think of them

Keen as .

Shame you werent closer, could show you a real pointer on birds

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Shame you werent closer, could show you a real pointer on birds
    Think my dogs due for a road trip....

Mine two . I'd be silly enough to do it . Done it once before none stop to kaingaroa forest, endeared up in a lovely little place called Murupara, fuck me ! Went to the pub even the woman looked like they wanted to fight ,brought some takeaways got robbed blind said thank you sir and left. Declared nex time do more home work. Bugger all pheasants but heaps of peacocks ,they where fun.
    Kakaramea likes this.

Your bloody mad Munsey, I know Murupara very well. Never had the balls to enter that pub after dark, and certainly not alone!

Doors always open you two, have a habit of inviting any keen dogman (and the odd dogwoman - for lack of a better term?) over as I like watching good dogs go. Had two finds this morning, a hen and a cock, both parked up under bushes from all this rain. Flooding seems to be going down finally too.

But back on track, Munsey I reckon stick to what you know - some good GSP blood going around at the mo, give it a go and report back to us

Munsey does your GSP handle the cold better than your GWP did? I was using the term GWP loosely, actually been getting excited about the Drahtahrs (sp?) and by the time my next dog retires I should have saved enough for one....

NB I know some of the locals of Murupara and would definitely feel more comfortable in the pub there if walking in the door with a local...

Horie , my wirehairs coat was not as thick as most . So don't want to give you wrong impression. She had papers But looked like shorthair /wirehair cross. I know a blokes got two wirehairs and they are as tuff as old boots , I'll ask him how they are on a duck pond on a cold arse southerly. Never herd of that" drackar"? Breed before. What do they cost ? , how big is the gene pool in nz?. Are you in ch ch ?, well go for a shot and you can check out my gsp. The reason I whent short hair was better selection to choose from.

deutsch drahthaar - Google Search

They are a "refined" GWP
    Im in chch, be good to see your gsp and you can see my vizsla, even if its rabbits or something if you dont feel like waiting for bird season

First time I have seen these, quite interesting
    Bracco Italiano
    Bracco Italiano - il cane piu' bello del mondo. MC.wmv - YouTube

Was thinking same , rabbits be fine that way we won't have to give away our pet quail coveys till we work out each other.
    Off topic do you snorkel I'm keen to get some paua tomoro. Akaroa good spot , low tide mid day , low key launch boat wainui 15 mins up habour we be into them 2 mts max .? . Txt me 021395667 if you keen . My snorkel mates in kaikoura and hate diving alone