Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By c-dog

Thread: Tips for bow fishing

Tips for bow fishing

Recently bought an Ali express special bow and a reel for when I visit my mum and dad.

Have gotten a handful of koi carp which is good bait.

however it is very much by luck as my aim needs a bit of work. Seems you can never aim too low!

I figured someone has done a bit of bow fishing before! It certainly beats staying at home on an average day.

Any tips would be awesome

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I haven't done any bow fishing so can't offer much advice.
    Except don't get caught with a Trout.
    not keen on my altezza to get stolen by fish and game so no worries there

I shot a few flounder with my bow a long time ago. Was able to get pretty much straight above them so no worries with aiming.
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I shot a few flounder with my bow a long time ago. Was able to get pretty much straight above them so no worries with aiming.
    Koi are quite skittish. They have pretty sensitive bones in their heads that feel vibrations. but they eventually come back up.

I have "shot" a few things under water in a past life....think the depth of water and aim that much under them..... a spear/arrow gaff in tail end is much more effective at stopping them than middle of body..head is of course ideal.
    you could always sink a few water filled plastic milk or soda bottles and use them for practise till you have you aim right
    veitnamcam likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Recently bought an Ali express special bow and a reel for when I visit my mum and dad.

Have gotten a handful of koi carp which is good bait.

however it is very much by luck as my aim needs a bit of work. Seems you can never aim too low!

I figured someone has done a bit of bow fishing before! It certainly beats staying at home on an average day.

Any tips would be awesome

cheers
    Had a heap of fun on a trip with the katikati bow hunters society as a younger version of my self. I'd recommend getting in touch/joining a club and see what comes up. They use to hold an annual tournament which was mainly to reduce the pests, not sure if its still running..But yes aim low, once you get ya eye in it seems alot easier, a mentor would help. I was using a cheap compound without sights etc. Arrows are hard wearing so go give it a nudge. I've been meaning to get back into it but haven't seen a koi down here, flounder might be the go
    Micky Duck likes this.

Find workups of trevally and kahawai and shoot into those! Had great fun and reasonable success doing this in the past hahaha