Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Yukon

Thread: Baikal MP-161K Review Part 1

Baikal MP-161K Review Part 1

Name:  MP-161K-1-sm.jpg
Views: 10970
Size:  92.4 KB

Baikal MP-161K Part 1

As promised, fellow shooters, I am reviewing a Baikal MP-161K, as it has many features that I consider good for night time pest control.

Background

We supply night vision and thermal imagers for hunting and pest control. Before we add a new model to our line, I test the equipment for performance and functionality. Once I have approved the product, I pass on to others for their evaluation. If a product ticks all the right boxes, I commit to ordering stock.

The above process is essential for ensuring that our products are suitable for the purposes that they were designed for (as a retailer, this is also a point of law) and I also build-up a working knowledge about a product, its advantages, as well as its shortcomings. When I discuss the finer points of a product to my customers, it is from experience. We encourage our dealers to also take out equipment for the same reason. Enough said, I'll climb off my soap-box.

I like to test all new scopes on a .22LR first. This enables me to go out into the field, in the dark, and assess a scope for performance and functionality in a hunting environment. Rabbits are a big problem for many parts of New Zealand, so it is always a good place to start. Also, very convenient because I don't need to go too far to hunt them. And I love doing it.

I needed a new rifle for testing out the new Pulsar Apex Thermal Rifle Scope, which is due for release shortly. For this reason, I wanted something a little different. I had toyed with the idea of a Walther G-22 Bullpup, but was put off by some less than flattering reviews.

Introducing the .22LR Baikal MP-161K

I first handled a .22LR Baikal MP-161K last year whilst helping out our dealers, Simon and Karen of KSN Products, at the Lincoln Field Days. I had never seen one of these rifles before, and was quite impressed with the way it looked and felt. My first shotgun was a Baikal IJ-18-E, and I thought it was great, though at 16, I probably wasn't too fussy as long as it made a loud bang!

I liked the look of the Baikal MP-161K because it had:

Weaver rail
    Adjustable stock
    Self-loading (though I am still trying to convince myself that this is better than bolt action)
    Protrusive cocking indicator
    Auto hold-open after last shot
    It comes with two 9 round mags
    Comfortable to hold, good length of pull
    Fairly light and compact
    Trigger felt good, though not outstanding
    Feels solid
    Looks quite saucy.

So, I bought our new Baikal MP-161K from Jim at Russianz, Wanganui, who is also the Australasian distributor for Barnaul cartridges. The rifle cost me $550 incl gst, plus $10 freight. I thought this was very good. (I hope that wasn't a trade price that I just divulged)

Rifle turned up all nice, new, and oily (mmmmm, new rifle). The barrel needed threading, and whilst I was at it, I thought shorten barrel three inches, and recrown. So off the rifle went to Dave Ward, who did a really top job. Nice bloke too, and very talented. He has a huge (massive) workshop out in Dovedale, half is dedicated to engineering, and the other is woodworking, and, he has a PhD in Chemistry. The cost of shortening, threading, and crowning was $100 + gst. Another very good job.

In the meantime, I thoroughly stripped and cleaned the rifle. It arrived well coated in machine oil, and now all metal-to-metal surfaces are lubed with Molybdenum Disulfide grease, and metal surface are protected from rust with a light coating of silicon fluid. I also carefully filed the front-end of the forearm so that there was no contact with the barrel.

So this was my commitment to this rifle before firing a single shot. Hopefully it will turn in a good performance. Previous research online suggested that these rifles were accurate, but accuracy is very subjective. I need to consistently hit a 2 inch circle at 50 meters. Anything better than this is a bonus.

Incidentally, when Vietnamcam came to grab the Pulsar Thermal Imager for the Forum Hunt in Rotoroa, his comment was that this rifle is a bit plasticy. Now I have to say, that because only around 95% of this rifle is covered in plastic, I thought that this was a pretty astute observation. So, congrats, and a big hand to Cam, for winning our O.O.T.M. Award!

Anyway, I know where Cam is coming from. Like many, he likes a little wood in his life. I for one, treat my beautiful walnut stocked BRNOs and Browning rimfires, like wives and lovers, never to be parted from till death. The Baikal MP-161K, on the other-hand, is more like a latex clad mistress. Take it in a dark place and have some fun. If it doesn't perform, let it go. Enough said.

Time to fire one off
    I was going to fit my 80's Parker Hale steel suppressor to this rifle, but at the last minute decided to use the short suppressor that I got from Taieri Arms a while back. These are made and sold exclusively through Taieri Arms. It came with two bodies, one for .22LR and one for .22mag/.7HMR. The internals screw into which ever is needed. It looks quite good on the MP161K, though I may change back to the Parker Hale, as this also looked good, and gave a slightly heavier frontal point-of-balance.

Which scope?
    I added one of our amazing Yukon Photon XT night vision scopes as a stop-gap. I am not reviewing the Yukon Photon XT in this article, this will be published soon. Needless to say, I got a telling-off for raiding our stock of new Photons. This is the third one now that I have commandeered for evaluation purposes. I have another one fitted to my .22 BRNO Mod2 and a 1974 vintage .177 BSA Mercury air rifle, for disposing of rats and rabbits around farm dwellings. To say that I am quite impressed with this scope is an understatement. The scope on this Baikal will eventually be fitted to my .308.

So, with a box CCI subs, I venture out into the night to sight-in the Baikal MP-161K and Yukon photon XT 4.6x42 DNV scope……….

That's enough for now folks, it's Saturday, I've worked my nuts off all week, it's beer o'clock. Yipee!

Name:  Alex-Baikal-mp161k-sm.jpg
Views: 5026
Size:  33.7 KB

My son, Alex, holding the MP-161k. At 6ft, we are about the size, and we find the length-of-pull is perfect for us.
    Kscott, hanse and heinnz like this.

Part 2 will include MP-161K useful features, cleaning, and observations about its use.