Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AR7
  • 1 Post By Barry the hunter

Thread: 0 lead shot

0 lead shot

Any ideas where I can buy some #0 0.32" lead buckshot?

normally someone selling it on trademe....I have funny feeling .32 is classed as 00
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I've had a nosey on trade me but no luck. Don't get me started on trying to work out the numbering system for shot one you start getting into the aughts! It seems every website has a different answer. I split open one of my shotgun 00 buckshot cartridges and the balls are 0.34

I'm after some 0.32 cal lead balls for some plinking with my 30-30

AR7
    Hi Muddy Steve
    you could make a simple swage to get the lead balls the right size for you to use . but most shot is of a soft lead combo so just use the .34 as it will squish down .
    you also might need to use Lee Alox to stop excess. leading of your bore and blast these of a tad slower vel . than full noise [ like subsonic speed ]
    lead balls i have used in the 32 ACP Rossi single shot custom built by FSS Have fun
    Muddysteve likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AR7 View Post
    Hi Muddy Steve
    you could make a simple swage to get the lead balls the right size for you to use . but most shot is of a soft lead combo so just use the .34 as it will squish down .
    you also might need to use Lee Alox to stop excess. leading of your bore and blast these of a tad slower vel . than full noise [ like subsonic speed ]
    lead balls i have used in the 32 ACP Rossi single shot custom built by FSS Have fun
    I'm not planning on making them fast, 3gr of W231 would appear to be the go for about 1000fps

I just put a good external chamfer on my cartridges and knocked the OO's in with a nylon hammer. It slices a tiny annular sliver off the ball. Great around camp shooting rats or coons without waking up the world.

AR7
    hi your case is .3571 in cu. in . volume are you adding some fuller to your powder cheers

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    I just put a good external chamfer on my cartridges and knocked the OO's in with a nylon hammer. It slices a tiny annular sliver off the ball. Great around camp shooting rats or coons without waking up the world.
    reminds me of our rat loads in the huts when bored on wet day - we would take the projectile out of a .222 then shave slivers (tiny) of a .22 mix with wax and put into .222 after tipping out a lot of powder - when mousey or ratty appeared bang - surprisingly effective - huts not visited for some time rats were at times bad - gin trap and peanut butter worked well when carefully hair trigged - remember pulling horse up in front of the old Parihaka hut Waiau River - I could hear the rats scuttling from under the mattresses across the floor to holes under fire place - kept riding another couple of hours to Central Waiau
    11mms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AR7 View Post
    hi your case is .3571 in cu. in . volume are you adding some fuller to your powder cheers
    No filler so far, currently pushing some 165gr cast lead with 5gr of W231 and had no issues. W231 seems to be pretty insensitive to position and really easy to ignite.

In my experience with fast pistol or shotgun powders fillers aren't necessary and make no difference to accuracy. Why make extra work?

Lee make double ball molds in .311 & .319. I've got one in .311 for doing 00 (?) buckshot loads. Easy to load 9 into a shot cup. I think I bought it from Reloaders, not sure where you'd get them now but they're still available, in the US at least.

IIRC it was a 1/8oz fishing sinker used to fit in .303 for possum load round camp...

TLB
    Reloaders along with a few other places sell a good variety. They have 32 cal balls, which appear to be .315".
    https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Rel...100s+6003.html