Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 1:8 223 real world data with heavier bullets

Im getting 2900 with 65g Sierra Gamekings and BM2 out of a 16” T3. Seems fast but tikka7mm08’s labradar must be telling the truth. Fantastic load on fallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I looked at that same data link when I was developing a load for 77grn projectiles but did better with 2206H
    You must be running an OAL longer than 2.26" to fit enough powder in the case?

Quote Originally Posted by rossm-96 View Post
    Im getting 2900 with 65g Sierra Gamekings and BM2 out of a 16” T3. Seems fast but tikka7mm08’s labradar must be telling the truth. Fantastic load on fallow.
    You mean a fantastic recipe for meat hunting but need another 3in on your tube. Great powder great projectile. Very dead red deer. Did a run with my son recently. Cratering back of the head of all our deer.

Using Vitivory N130 in a savage light 20 inch barrel, I picked this powder because the was aim to get a complete barrel burn, so as not to wreck the suppressor.
    Was using Gordon Reloading tools, which indicated 24g as a on the limit load load.
    Vitivory book says 21 tops, I have taken it out to 23g, ADI brass, with lab radar reading of 3110fps from a 65g Game King, with slight primer cratering, so have dropped back to 22g which shoots well, haven't got a speed for that yet.
    Point being 23g and a standard oal round the powder still rattles. Could be useful for the longer pills.

im shooting 69 tmp's at 2850 with 23.8g BM2 in T3 (22")

looks like I might be a ble to squeese a bit more with 2206h or 2208 from posts on here, but event at these speed it hamers bunnies out to 400m

You guys are just still in the closet. Running nearly 80gr in a 223? Lets face it, you actually just want a mighty 243 and can run 80gr plus as standard.
    Stick to the 55gr -64gr(223) max they work well on deer and come out of the closet and just join the 243 club and be done with it and just take the crap of the haters that say its too light for stags hahahah

Interesting bit of trivia that made me decide to stick to the 50-odd grain projectiles and slow twist barrels was the early M16's (which used slower twist rates and lighter,shorter bullets) were renowned for, lets just say 'good effect'.

This guy does an interesting but not too scientific test:

Depends on the action you are running too.

If you want to run long pills then a Tikka T3 (maybe with a modified bolt stop and mag for longer OAL) and 1:8 barrel makes sense. Sticking it in a chassis gives you other mag options too!

An old Sako L461/A1 'Vixen' is going to be near maxed out on the 223 with a longer 52-55 grainer, so more of a 'walk and stalk' stick.
    rupert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Using Vitivory N130 in a savage light 20 inch barrel, I picked this powder because the was aim to get a complete barrel burn, so as not to wreck the suppressor.
    Was using Gordon Reloading tools, which indicated 24g as a on the limit load load.
    Vitivory book says 21 tops, I have taken it out to 23g, ADI brass, with lab radar reading of 3110fps from a 65g Game King, with slight primer cratering, so have dropped back to 22g which shoots well, haven't got a speed for that yet.
    Point being 23g and a standard oal round the powder still rattles. Could be useful for the longer pills.
    Chronied today 22 grains, . the chrony es the was all over the place , not just my rifle either, so think his chrony is off, average 2915. Wanting 3000 so more messing round. I'll settle for where it shoots

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    You must be running an OAL longer than 2.26" to fit enough powder in the case?
    2.3" Norma cases.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    You guys are just still in the closet. Running nearly 80gr in a 223? Lets face it, you actually just want a mighty 243 and can run 80gr plus as standard.
    Stick to the 55gr -64gr(223) max they work well on deer and come out of the closet and just join the 243 club and be done with it and just take the crap of the haters that say its too light for stags hahahah
    Very witty. Enjoyed that.