Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By csmiffy

Thread: 12 projectile.packs

12 projectile.packs

I have purchased these before, only a couple, but what is the preferred method to try them out?
    Done very very little reloading so don't have previous data to work with.
    Need a chrony or just a small selection to do 4x3 shot groups?

load three with nearest data from one of your previous loads of same projectile weight...check on range to confirm the zero is still good to go...then shoot the other 9 into animals...well thats what worked for me with 150grn partitions.

Gone but not forgotten
    I load 4 lots of 3 at different charges.
    A chrony is useful to see if velocity is where it should be, especially if there is a big difference between published starting loads and max loads - I have had two instances where velocity was well below factory ammo ( by 200-300fps).

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    load three with nearest data from one of your previous loads of same projectile weight...check on range to confirm the zero is still good to go...then shoot the other 9 into animals...well thats what worked for me with 150grn partitions.
    @Micky Duck that's the problem though.
    Got bugger all starting point

Do have the bullet or powder manufactures reloading manual, start 2 grains under max and load up in 0.5 grain steps
    that is how we did it pre Chrony days,
    What cartridge bullet and powder? Someone on the forum will have access to the data.
    Most jacketed bullets need an impact velocity of 1800fps to expand any more is a bonus.
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.

cartridge n powders at hand...... what Rob says is spot on...2 grains below max in the .308 or bigger case is USUALLY pretty good place to start...and sometimes finish.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Do have the bullet or powder manufactures reloading manual, start 2 grains under max and load up in 0.5 grain steps
    that is how we did it pre Chrony days,
    What cartridge bullet and powder? Someone on the forum will have access to the data.
    Most jacketed bullets need an impact velocity of 1800fps to expand any more is a bonus.
    cheers. Not worried about the data and start points, justr5 wondering how the sampler packs are utilised the best.
    Without historical data for similar bullets, seems to be a bit of a lottery especially without a chronograph where you could pick a start point and look for velocity changes/flat points

forget the plurry chronicgraph (ducks as Dannyb throws jandle) you mush have some idea about the rifles likes n dislikes??? if you use factory loads in rifle previously and have one it groups OK with...use that to set up seating die...will give you similar projectile jump if your new projectile is similar shape.....
    pick a load from loading manual thats middle of road or just as previosly suggested 2 grns below maximum and load up three rounds and try them on paper.
    you will learn from that if rifle happy with power level....also may just find it shoots respectably close together group..leaving you 9 other projectiles to go hunting with. if however the grouping sucks...well you have still learnt something useful....that load DOESNT WORK WELL.... but you will have better idea if power level is ok than did before.
    for sure if you want to piss around and look for flat spots in velocity and tightest possible ES etc etc you will need a chronicgraph and lots of loads..... but if you arent intending to shoot long range and twiddle n fiddle with knobs WHY BOTHER??? a honest inch group will get you out to 300 yards with ease every day of the week.... any persieved difference in velocity ISNT going to make you miss the vital area...or nobody would hit anything with factory loads....

as for it being a lottery....... I will take stab in dark here and guess you intend loading for something between 6mm and 8 mm with projectile between 100-200 grns traveling at between 2500=3000 fps I will also suggest if you pick a bog std projectile like hornady interlock Nosler ballistic tip or speer hot core and one of the winchester or ADI powders if you were to pick a middle of road load from manual eg half way between start and maximum and seated said projectile via setting up dies with factory round...you would be VERY VERY UNLUCKY to not be shooting groups smaller than 2" right off the bat.
    anyone care to dissagree?????

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @Micky Duck that's the problem though.
    Got bugger all starting point
    well WHAT do you have???? whats the rifle..calibre...what projectile and what powder??? and what do you intend to do with said rifle?

More referring to the starting point as you have suggested using a similar projectile and my own reload data for accelerated development. Dont really have any
    Well aware of the reloading start up.
    Start low etc
    243, 270, 303 and possibly 8x57 but realistically probably more the first 2 with the odd 303 round as well.
    Got a selection of different projectiles and some powders for them.
    Upon reflection of some reloads done last year for my 243 I should've been happy with the results considering my sighting in setup and rifle but havent got around to doing it over.
    40mm ish 5 shot groups with targex 95s out of the 70 lightweight, bedded and floated.
    Should've stuck to 3 shots for that light barrel and now I have some better rests
    I have no doubt that most loads will be under 2".
    I suppose I am going down the rabbit hole of expecting better than factory accuracy from reloading but realise you are lucky if you get it without a lot of development.
    Unlike the 416 which shoots i" and under with basically none
    Micky Duck likes this.