Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 130gr 270 pill

130gr 270 pill

Since I hear that the winchester powerpoint and especially fed blue box seem do to well in 130 grainers, what would be best bang for buck 130 grain projectiles for the 270 to reload?
    Have heard that the SST's are too violent so maybe not them.
    Got a bunch of 150s to play with already.
    Maybe even a good 140?
    Then I'll look at powders to suit.
    Cheers

Banned
    It's not whats best, more whats available. I have some 130 gr hornady spire points or interlocks that are ok for load development and getting you on paper - you can have some of those. Then use the good ones like Partitions for hunting
    Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.

Have used good old Hornady 130gr Interlock projectiles in my .270 for more than 35 years. Some members may scoff but I've killed hundreds of deer with them. My old BSA Majestic shoots them into 1" at 100yards all day long. Then have a CDS cap for further out. Probably no shortage of them at the moment because they're not so popular.
    Dama dama and Micky Duck like this.

I havent struck a bad killing 130 grn load in 270 yet....sure speer spbt are really soft...but that makes them good.
    the 130SST have bad rep so steer away from them...anything else you should be fine...take out the front wheels and no animal is going anywhere....150 partitions for that stag of a lifetime trip and life is sweet.

Was under the impression the partition was.meant to work very well. Also well aware that there are a few out there that work well also and probably a bit cheaper.
    The available thing is a good point.
    There are some interlocks for sale on here I was considering so interested to hear they are ok.
    Mind you arent they what the sst started life as?

my old rifle loved hornadies and grouped them all very well......I had 300 in kit when bought my reloading gear,after a couple of complete pass throughs on deer I got put off and burnt them up on wallabies...years later I got given some more 140 hornady interlocts and they shot so well I tried them again...they are BORING as heck..point them into boiler room of red hinds at 300-350 yards and they just die...no fuss no bother and stuff all meat loss if you slip them in just behind shoulder but in tight..... so my earlier misgivings were unfounded.it was my point of aim rather than projectile,once I learnt the simple truth,if you want to anchor animal on the spot you have to take out front wheels...never looked back.
    Moa Hunter and csmiffy like this.

I don’t have lots of experience to back this up, but I’ve found the SSTs and the like work better when heavier-for-calibre and at longer ranges. I’m about to start loading for a mate and will be starting with a soft point. Not many Interbonds or Partitions available, so I’m just gonna try the cheap Speer Hot-Cor or Sierra SPBT.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and Rees like this.

Why do you want to shoot a lighter projectile if you have a bunch of 150's to play with? Get a load going with a 150 and rifle will do anything you ask of it I've never bothered with anything lighter (although I do currently shoot the 145 eldx)
    150 partitions are excellent projectiles as are the 150 Norma Oryx and the 150 gameking.
    If you really must try something lighter it's already been mentioned the 140 interlock is a great projectile (but not greater than the aforementioned 150s...)
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Mainly because an old friend who has been using a 270 since the 70s and shot a lot of deer recommended 130s over 150s.
    Had some experiences like MD where he lost a couple and went to the 130s to anchor them better.
    Probably on lighter animals I would suggest
    In his experiences he could make 130s work on everything.
    Like I said if 140s are even better than that's fine with me.
    Those eldxs you mention Ryan are meant to go well.
    I suppose I am just wondering if a 130 may just better.
    Got 150.ssts and oryx to try so if the word is stick with themI will. Never done the reloading thing before so really trying to get my head around it.
    Back in the day I had 4.different types of factory 243 ammo to pick from. Never wanted to reload
    Just a big wormhole. Dont even have dies or powder yet lol
    Last edited by csmiffy; 01-08-2021 at 09:04 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I basically duel load....or more accurately have two types of load....big fat heavies for up close n personal...my bush loads and something pointy that is really accurate. not that my bush loads arent accurate just a load that gives me confidence should that 300-400 yards shot be needed...
    at present its 110ttsx cause Ive got heaps of them or a 170grn round nose for bush and a 140 hornady sp for out long.....
    and Ive shot last 2 deer with factory winchester 150grn power points because a lovely fella gave me some for free...and its plurry good amunition.

I haven't shot a lot of animals but over the last 20 years every deer (sika, red or fallow) and tahr has been taken with either federal powershok 130 or Winchester power point 130. Animals between 5 metres out to 320 metres.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

110gr Barnes. Brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    I haven't shot a lot of animals but over the last 20 years every deer (sika, red or fallow) and tahr has been taken with either federal powershok 130 or Winchester power point 130. Animals between 5 metres out to 320 metres.
    yeah nah...Ive seen you shoot 8 wallabies with 8 consecutive shots,not moving from position....you are too humble mate,you are deadly with that weapon LOL
    go the mighty .270
    RUMPY likes this.

Banned
    I found the 130 Powerpoint better than the 130 hornady. The Hornady will shed its jacket like Sierras do. The 130 hornadys are fine for 100 kg deer but have let me down on stags - the PP never.
    Those 110 Barnes I havnt tried but everyone who has rates them.

I use 140 grain nosler accubonds have stopped stags goats chamois only thing I haven't yet tested then on is thar

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.