Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 162 gn Amax help ?

Quote Originally Posted by ihmsakiwi View Post
    Yes, I bought some Lapua scenars to start doing some testing with.

Too much bad press on the ELD-M's to waste good barrels on. I'll either stick with SMK's or Lapua's then.
    The Scenars don't work well on Animals, amazing accurate projectiles though

Too much bad press on the ELD-M's to waste good barrels on. I'll either stick with SMK's or Lapua's then.
    Bad press on ELD-M's Haven't read anything myself.
    Do have any links?
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

Tried the ELD-Ms in my 284 and they grouped very well. Only thing I found, and it may have because I had early lots, is that a box of 100 typically sorted into three groups when sorting by measuring ogive to base.

Reasonably priced.

Haven't bothered continuing to use them as my 284 is nicely set up for 180gr.

Got rid of all my A-Max projectiles ages ago although still have one box of their very original ones (with the alloy tips).
    Strange thing is after going away from alloy tips Hornady has now introduced a line of projectiles with alloy tips.
    I think they may be target only though.

Bad press on ELDMs? any links? I have used amax fairly extensively but not the eldm which is apparently the same bullet with a new tip .....everything I have read is they are same same for performance?
    winaa likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

So, who has got a supply of 168 Amax's stashed away??

Recently bought a Barnard with a 284 Winchester barrael and all the load data is for the now obselete 7mm Amax's.

Would love to buy some if I can get 5 - 6 boxes of them?

Peter
    How many do you want ?

B

Fulla
    If anyone else is interested I have 500 all unopened, will only sell all or nothing, for what I paid for them. 162 amax
    veitnamcam likes this.

162 ELD-M is basically the 162 A-Max with a new gucci tip. I don’t really believe the Hornady hype that the A-Max tips were melting at high velocity, but the ELD-M is a substitute for them with a higher BC (IIRC).

ELD-M is a frangible projectile and can “blow up” at close range and high velocity, but hit them in the ribs and it’s all good. At longer ranges they are better on game than anything else. I shot lots of big bodied whitetail at 120 yards or less in the US with A-Max in 168 and 208 weights and they all fell over. I’m loading 180 ELD-M for my 7 Rem Mag now and have zero concerns about shooting game with them at any range.

Try the 162 ELD-M for yourself and see what you think rather than believing the keyboard warriors. I think you will find they do the job very well.

I find it kind of sad that the best long range game projectile isn’t even designed for the job. It shows how badly wrong the manufacturers have got it with their long range game offerings.

What's the bad press about ELD-M's?

I will also jump in and ask what the bad press is on the ELD-M? Ive only heard good things so far.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    I will also jump in and ask what the bad press is on the ELD-M? Ive only heard good things so far.
    Google " eld-m issues" and mulitple sites and multiple people are reporting that the jackets on some at long range break up in flight and don't reach the target.
    As I am 100% a target shooter I can't be bothered wasting good barrell life on a projectile that could let me down with "missed" shots.

Google " eld-m issues" and mulitple sites and multiple people are reporting that the jackets on some at long range break up in flight and don't reach the target.
    As I am 100% a target shooter I can't be bothered wasting good barrell life on a projectile that could let me down with "missed" shots.
    Seems to be a few cases at high speed above 3000 fps, doesn't worry me I am lucky to get to 2600 fps in my 7mm08 with a 162
    I have blown up bullets in my old 22-250 as well usually 40gr HP varmit going over 4000 fps and no damage to the barrel. Blue smoke out the barrel and no holes on target.
    So I will keep using them unless I have a problem
    Micky Duck likes this.
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    162 ELD-M is basically the 162 A-Max with a new gucci tip. I don’t really believe the Hornady hype that the A-Max tips were melting at high velocity, but the ELD-M is a substitute for them with a higher BC (IIRC).

ELD-M is a frangible projectile and can “blow up” at close range and high velocity, but hit them in the ribs and it’s all good. At longer ranges they are better on game than anything else. I shot lots of big bodied whitetail at 120 yards or less in the US with A-Max in 168 and 208 weights and they all fell over. I’m loading 180 ELD-M for my 7 Rem Mag now and have zero concerns about shooting game with them at any range.

Try the 162 ELD-M for yourself and see what you think rather than believing the keyboard warriors. I think you will find they do the job very well.

I find it kind of sad that the best long range game projectile isn’t even designed for the job. It shows how badly wrong the manufacturers have got it with their long range game offerings.
    I will move to the ELD's when and if I run out of A Max's . Good advice. Just go and shoot some deer. Ive amaxed a fair few and never had any issues apart from wasted shoulder meat

and this is why certain people say the super fasttwist barrels shouldnt be mated with super fast castridges...the RPMs are just too much,and a slippery projectile is going to have issues as it is combine that with a thin jacket and you asking for trouble......bit like driving in the rain on slick tyres and trying to corner fast...its not going to end well. its not new problem...they struck it when first went really fast...eg the .22 swift....had to change TYPE of projectile to get them to hold together.....now the fast twist rate barrels make it worse..... all things in balance grasshopper.
    bully likes this.

This will certainly be in the US where they are obsessed with overbore cartridges and want the fastest twist barrels they can get to maximise BCs and win the Internet passing contest. A-Max and ELD-M are indeed soft jacketed - that’s what make them so good as long-range projectiles. They can’t be expected to hold together at well over 3000 fps in really aggressive twist barrels because physics.

My .300 WM pushes 208 ELD-M at 2984 fps average in a 10 twist barrel and I have never lost a single one in 200 shots. With the BC of the 208 grain .30 cal and 180 grain 7mm ELD-Ms there’s no need to drive them over 3000 for most applications. Keep speeds and twists sensible and they will hold together and produce good terminal ballistics, regardless of what google says.

For target shooting anything will do as there is no need to consider terminal effects on animals.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Had a read, seems like some isolated cases with a lot of good results thrown in there too. Everyone above looks to have summed it up nicely. I reckon if you googled issues for any bullet then there’s gonna be some reports on something that didn’t go well for someone. Plenty of people rave about Berger’s and then others wouldn’t touch them..
    Micky Duck likes this.