Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 165gr SST in 308 bushpig

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    2206h and Fed210, case is full, to go any faster requires fooling about with H335 or W748, played with them to get the TTSX 130 and 110 going fast, but, given the TTSX runs out of fast killing fairly quickly and doesn't kill any better than the SST, why bother.
    Nothing thumps deer harder than the 130 ttsx at close range though, what range did you find them to be slow killing?
    bman940 likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigreen View Post
    Nothing thumps deer harder than the 130 ttsx at close range though, what range did you find them to be slow killing?
    Around 300yds give or take unless you hit good solid bone, the country I hunt at the mo, 200yds is a close shot, 200-400 is usual.

I have been using the SST's for a while in my Rem. 700 AAC rifle. They are quite accurate and I agree they hit hard. I have taken a bunch of deer with the longest 1 shot stop being just under 500 yards. I also use it to whack hogs and love the impact it has on the 250+ pounders. I chronographed my loads and surprisingly got only about 40 fps less than the stated MV and that is suppressed too! I considered the 125 gr Nosler's but figured if it ain't broke ......
    I'm using a Nikon M-308 scope dialed in with Spot On Ballistic Program. Wheather you like the circles or not, they sure work.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Hewie, Boaraxa and WallyR like this.

Hopefully give this load a go tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
    I have been using the SST's for a while in my Rem. 700 AAC rifle. They are quite accurate and I agree they hit hard. I have taken a bunch of deer with the longest 1 shot stop being just under 500 yards. I also use it to whack hogs and love the impact it has on the 250+ pounders. I chronographed my loads and surprisingly got only about 40 fps less than the stated MV and that is suppressed too! I considered the 125 gr Nosler's but figured if it ain't broke ......
    I'm using a Nikon M-308 scope dialed in with Spot On Ballistic Program. Wheather you like the circles or not, they sure work.

what length barrel ?

I’ve used some Speer 165 btsp and targex 165 in my 16” rem. Generally as a training rifle for my magnums. Did shoot a rabbit on the farm once at 600 yards 1 st shot with the speer so they are accurate. Turned it to fluff. Was funny to watch it back on the video and seeing the fur blow up.
    Boaraxa likes this.

Both have a Bc over .5

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Hi superdiver, are you running the factory barrel or changed to faster twist?

Don't be shy to give the 165 Nossler BT,s a whirl
    Danny likes this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy06 View Post
    I’ve used some Speer 165 btsp and targex 165 in my 16” rem. Generally as a training rifle for my magnums. Did shoot a rabbit on the farm once at 600 yards 1 st shot with the speer so they are accurate. Turned it to fluff. Was funny to watch it back on the video and seeing the fur blow up.
    Dont suppose you still have the video to post??? would love to see it. I miss blatting rabbist with my 223. 50gr hollow points at 20m turns them inside out.....got some 40gr Vmax coming to try...