Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By 300winmag

Thread: 168gn in 30 cals`

168gn in 30 cals`

I've heard from several people that 168gn projectiles are meant to be the optimal weight for 30 cals and I was just wanting to know why? They don't appear at a glance to be that much better ballistically. Has anyone else heard this or know why?

Cheers,

Bav

Caretaker
    The statement most likely has its origins from conversations on 30 cals in general, so 308 to 300 rum.

In the context of including both chamberings and everything in between, the 165 and 168 projectiles, will "do it all"
    steven and Brenick like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Palma (peep sights, sling) shooting is fixed to a 308Win and 155gr projectile and a hard push to 1000yds, but FTR class (palma class gun but with a scope and bipod) isnt fixed in weight....for the twist of 13 to 1 or 12.6 to 1 a 165~168 gr projectile can be better, so maybe its coming from that. A lot of too old palma shooters switch to FTR when their arms/neck/eyes give out so the 13 to 1 twist is in their gun..they just add a scope and bipod.

Just like me....LOL.

Also if you look at the Russian 54R they have a 147gr in a .311 bore, but their hvy projectile is 183~185gr....Enfield 303 Brit also 311 bore 174~175gr. So yes it seems the 165gr average weight does well in a 300....I guess its "proven" to be "about right".

;]

Ideal combination of a bit better BC and higher terminal energy?

;?
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

I've heard this as well but don't know what the reasoning is. Depends what you want to do, but the 175-210gr weight class is much better for LR work, if you're talking a .308.

hi precision for 308
    hi speed 155 palma macht in 308 win (medium Range)
    low speed 168 sierra or hornady (long range)
    lamezcua@mexicoarmado.com
    "Hay que crear nuestras propias armas y municiones,
    si no queremos que nuestros asuntos interiores los decidan
    los que nos las proporcionen"

it will more than likely come down to the fact that 308s cant push a 210 out fast enough to do a good long range projectle even tho the BC is pretty good
    and that 168s still retain a half respectable trajectory for point and shoot ranges

My Sako 75 in 308 shoots 168g Sierra Matchking nicely. For hunting I use the 165g Gameking

I'm taking a bunch of 308 168 Amax to Aust in a few days to test out on some donkeys, horses and pigs. Also a few 180gr Accubonds on the 300win mag.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    I'm taking a bunch of 308 168 Amax to Aust in a few days to test out on some donkeys, horses and pigs. Also a few 180gr Accubonds on the 300win mag.
    Best of luck for your hunt
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Best of luck for your hunt
    Thanks Andrew but no real luck involved as all under 250yds and the place is crawling with the critters, it's a heap of fun.
    geezejonesy likes this.

waiting for the return post up pics
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Are you aussie 300wm or an NZ man? be sure to show us some pics. Heading to NT?

He s a kiwi thu n thu just a trip to nthn territories like he did last yr was invited to go too but fkn wrong time of yr for me .rite at the start of calving season fk fk fk

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms