Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: 175eldx or 180eldm

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerbox View Post
    Mate shot a bull tahr at 900m with a 180eldm doing 3000fps. Bangflop
    Yeah mate used them on tahr out to over 1100 and they were still incredible at that range

Look up who tee who on youtube he just did a film on eldx and eldm out of a mossberg 7mm prc this week. In the weights you asked

Jus
    Eld-x seem to be unreliable in performance, a couple guys I know who I know can shoot very well, have killed animals from 50 to 600yards with eld-x, and then also from 50 to 600 yards hit animals, found blood, and not found the animal after tracking for hundreds of meters. I’ll run 175 elite hunters out of my 7 prc, and then switch to 180 eld-m when I can’t get Berger’s anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Jus View Post
    Eld-x seem to be unreliable in performance, a couple guys I know who I know can shoot very well, have killed animals from 50 to 600yards with eld-x, and then also from 50 to 600 yards hit animals, found blood, and not found the animal after tracking for hundreds of meters. I’ll run 175 elite hunters out of my 7 prc, and then switch to 180 eld-m when I can’t get Berger’s anymore
    Cant say I've ever experienced that, have shot quite a few reds and fallow with eldx never lost 1and all have been bang flop results

Ranges from less that 20y to 500y
    GSP HUNTER, hotsoup and Jus like this.
    #DANNYCENT

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    I have used 180s in the Blaser mag for the last couple of years and they have always performed
    I did load up some 175 eldx for up close in the bush but never shot anything with them
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

Any corresponding views on 180g Sierra Matchkings?
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Cant say I've ever experienced that, have shot quite a few reds and fallow with eldx never lost 1and all have been bang flop results

Ranges from less that 20y to 500y
    Iv had it a fair bit with 162 in 7rm 175 in 7blaser mag 200 and 212 in 300wm had some absolute stunning kills aswell but a at least 10 as decribed above sub 300

Jus
    Yea I’ve never had an issue with them, 145 eld x out of 270. The guys I know that have had hit and miss performance from them aren’t an isolated case either, there is a fair bit of info on the net regarding bullet failures of the eld x. That said, I have heard a theory that they are designed more for American game and our red stags are about the smallest animal the bullet was designed for 🤷🏼*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Jus View Post
    Yea I’ve never had an issue with them, 145 eld x out of 270. The guys I know that have had hit and miss performance from them aren’t an isolated case either, there is a fair bit of info on the net regarding bullet failures of the eld x. That said, I have heard a theory that they are designed more for American game and our red stags are about the smallest animal the bullet was designed for ����*♂️
    I think velocity has a bit to do with it, up close if doing warp 9 I have heard they can be a little explody, personally haven't had that issue as the only animals I've shot close were shot in the head, where even a fmj would've done the job.
    I'm about to trial the 178gn eldx in my 308, have heard good things about them. Currently running 168gn eldm's and they aso seem to work pretty well.
    I think heavy for caliber mitigates the impact velocity at close range whilst still carrying ample energy and velocity for longer range shots.
    Gkp and Jus like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I think velocity has a bit to do with it, up close if doing warp 9 I have heard they can be a little explody, personally haven't had that issue as the only animals I've shot close were shot in the head, where even a fmj would've done the job.
    I'm about to trial the 178gn eldx in my 308, have heard good things about them. Currently running 168gn eldm's and they aso seem to work pretty well.
    I think heavy for caliber mitigates the impact velocity at close range whilst still carrying ample energy and velocity for longer range shots.
    Im a huge fan of the 168 in .308 i run 42 and 42.6 of 2206h fed 210s and win cases and with 178 eldm 41.4 of 2206h fed 210 win cases

Yip i always put it down to to fast as never had issues out far i also had them kill brilliant up close it was the inconsistency that got me lost aninals were stags so shoulder shots and front on in the chest

7mm Rem Mag, 180 eldms at just 2970 fps. Has pummeled everything from stalking ranges out to 800y aside from a bull Tahr couple of weeks ago. Hurried shot 100 yards quartering away. Broke offside shoulder but was able to keep moving. Needed a follow up. Shot placement wasn't perfect however

Quote Originally Posted by Project17 View Post
    7mm Rem Mag, 180 eldms at just 2970 fps. Has pummeled everything from stalking ranges out to 800y aside from a bull Tahr couple of weeks ago. Hurried shot 100 yards quartering away. Broke offside shoulder but was able to keep moving. Needed a follow up. Shot placement wasn't perfect however
    What twist barrel does your rem mag have.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Project17 View Post
    Yip being guilty of that

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    What twist barrel does your rem mag have.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    If it helps my mate runs them in his Sako finnlight at the same velocity they are brilliant I have seen him sack reds at sub 100 yards out to over 600yards
    ariki, Kelton and 25/08 IMP like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Standard Sako 1:9.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    25/08 IMP likes this.