Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By 6.5 CRD

Thread: 20" 300wm powder

20" 300wm powder

Any knowledge on a suitable powder I have all the usual long barrel powders 2217 2225 etc 180gn projectiles iv being suggested a faster powder might be better?

Ta

Just use the same powder you'd use in a full length barrel.
    7mmsaum, dannyb and 6.5 CRD like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    Brilliant cheers

What speed are you getting? I use 2217 with 180 gr full length barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    agree, I have always been told that whatever powder gives the fastest velocity in a long barrel will still give the the fastest velocity in a short barrel it just may not be as efficien ie; you may be blowing un-burnt powered out the end of the barrel or even cooler Flames
    6.5 CRD likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

@dannyb yip same here just checking really iv found 2217 better than 2225 in 7rm shorter barrels and was just checking as the yanks have made it sound dangerous in reading and didn't want anyone hurt . Situation is a friend has picked up a new t3x wm for $1000 and wanted a more handy legnth and was scared less than 22 wouldn't work . Yes it wont be as fast no it's not efficient but a huge step up from his daily thanks to all who commented we will commence tomorrow with eldm 2217 and 2225 and 215s
    dannyb likes this.

mate of mine has a short 300w/m I will ask him what combo he is using if ya like ?
    #DANNYCENT

Im no expert but from all the research i have done & things i have tried, dannyb & pommy are on the money. If your primary goal is the best velocity you can achieve, then the powder you achieve the best velocity in a long barrel with will also be the best for speed in the short barrel. If you are trying to achieve less muzzle flash/blast & dont want powder burning after the projectile exits the muzzle / burning in your supressor, use a faster burning powder at the sacrifice of some speed.
    dannyb likes this.

I agree that the same powder does the same relative to barrel length but when I shorten a barrel (I always seem to) I do want to claw back the velocity. Ive done this by switching to high energy powders from what I think are called the ADI type single based powders. Vihtavouri and Alliant in particular. With my 300saum both R17 and N550 clawed back 100 fps (from 24" to 20"). R19 did it with my 270wsm. N560 cant be beaten in 6.5x55 etc.

Also, dropping a bullet weight too, and going to mono.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    mate of mine has a short 300w/m I will ask him what combo he is using if ya like ?
    Yes please

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I agree that the same powder does the same relative to barrel length but when I shorten a barrel (I always seem to) I do want to claw back the velocity. Ive done this by switching to high energy powders from what I think are called the ADI type single based powders. Vihtavouri and Alliant in particular. With my 300saum both R17 and N550 clawed back 100 fps (from 24" to 20"). R19 did it with my 270wsm. N560 cant be beaten in 6.5x55 etc.
    I'm just trying to convince him to take what he has and use it hes looked at this as a temporary rifle until a wsm pops up but seen as he got it for such a good price and the amount of use itll get I think hes best to get a good 168-180gn combo that'll serve his needs