Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Happy
  • 1 Post By jakewire

Thread: 22/250 or other

22/250 or other

I've been bored living in Perth and so have decided to put together a new rifle back home with parts generally bought off forum members.

The first thing acquired was 1/8 .224 barrel which can be finished as long as 26" it has not been threaded or chambered so I had lots of options, anyway to cut a long story short I decided use my Mod 7 action and stock.

I bought a Weaver SS 3-15 and 22/250 dies off madjon and then spoke to Remington guru Mitch Maxberry about a chambering, he has all sorts of .224 reamers from .223 through to 22/243. I already have a Jongmans in .223 with two barrels a 1/8 and 1/12 and was interested in the .22/47 and .22 creedmore or the 22/250 AI but he reckons that the standard 22/250 will do anything the others do for a lot less money sweat and effort. I want to shoot the 75 amax and other long heavy bullets.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm hoping that I can then sell my .223 and .243 and get the new hot .224 to cover both.

Cheers Jeff

22_250 if you reload you can go from 22 rimfire to nearly 220 swift. Its easy on brass which is readily available. Mine was 1/12 so never shot the heavy pills but could still get wallabies out to 485m with 55 grs down south one trip. Took quite a few deer as well. Should get another but the 223 does quite well i suppose.

Going 22-250 is simple, and although I love it, I preferred the ackley version. Way more sexy, and really shoot flat.
    22-47 or 22 creedmoor won't bring much in except quality lapua brass and small pocket primer for the 22-47.

22-250rem doesn't handle wind too well. 485m is bloody good shooting with it with small pills. It's a good flat shooting calibre that makes small things explode and can kill deer though. Eats barrels much faster than 223's.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather or Shoot View Post
    22-250rem doesn't handle wind too well. 485m is bloody good shooting with it with small pills. It's a good flat shooting calibre that makes small things explode and can kill deer though. Eats barrels much faster than 223's.
    Dead still afternoon took 2 shots to get him 1st a bit high didnt compensate for the angle, it just sat there looking at the puff of dust then boom. Yeah barrel life is a bit short thats the price you pay for the performance. Better than the 220 swift or 204 ruger though, and i suspect the 223/08 would burn them pretty quickly as well.

@Happy?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Please define short barrel. How long is that piece of string ?

Oh my god short barrel life better sell that one quick !!

Depends on the exact meaning of short barrel life if it's 1000 rounds Bugger

If it's 10000 and you shoot 1000 a year it's 10 years worth for me at 500 it's 20 years.
    If I can shoot 500 varmints a year that's average of 10 a day everyday
    I can live with that
    jakewire, Maca49 and Micky Duck like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    22_250 if you reload you can go from 22 rimfire to nearly 220 swift. Its easy on brass which is readily available. Mine was 1/12 so never shot the heavy pills but could still get wallabies out to 485m with 55 grs down south one trip. Took quite a few deer as well. Should get another but the 223 does quite well i suppose.
    Yip
    I've taken wallaby out that far with the 22 250
    well maybe not quite, 498yrds is the PB one shot kill with Bryns 52gr bullet at 3650 odd. As above perfectly still morning.
    I like the 22 250, sold mine in one of those 'WTF' moments and replaced it with a cz 223, that goes well but it's not a 22 250.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    I've been bored living in Perth and so have decided to put together a new rifle back home with parts generally bought off forum members.

The first thing acquired was 1/8 .224 barrel which can be finished as long as 26" it has not been threaded or chambered so I had lots of options, anyway to cut a long story short I decided use my Mod 7 action and stock.

I bought a Weaver SS 3-15 and 22/250 dies off madjon and then spoke to Remington guru Mitch Maxberry about a chambering, he has all sorts of .224 reamers from .223 through to 22/243. I already have a Jongmans in .223 with two barrels a 1/8 and 1/12 and was interested in the .22/47 and .22 creedmore or the 22/250 AI but he reckons that the standard 22/250 will do anything the others do for a lot less money sweat and effort. I want to shoot the 75 amax and other long heavy bullets.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm hoping that I can then sell my .223 and .243 and get the new hot .224 to cover both.

Cheers Jeff
    I have had a couple 22-250, really like the Cal, sold both mine as both HB varminters, and too heavy to pack around the NZ bush.
    Been thinking about getting another, fast twist, same thought as you 75-80gr a-max, got plenty of brass, dies etc.
    Also looking at the 22-6mm, as have a pile of brass, dies and a old M700 Mt rifle, that I haven't managed to sell,
    the smart money, would be to go get the 6mm rem from Canada, and ship it back to NZ, but a 22-6mm rem with 75gr a-max at 3600 odd, would be kind of fun experiment as well.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Frankly I don't think there is anything wrong with the standard 22-250
    We know it will use a barrel quicker than a 223 if run hard, and we know it's also been hampered by manufacturers barrel twists while they promoted the 223.
    What we also know is that it is a very accurate round and runs better on the wind than a 223

Some one said above that it's not good in the wind
    well that's true
    But neither are my 6.5's or my 223, or my 30 06 or my 9.3, just depends how you manage it.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

22-250 with 75 gr amax is going to perform way better in the wind than any 223.
    Make sure your rifle is properly bedded in a descent stock.and getting the action trued during the rebarreling process won't be a bad thing if you are going to hang a big heavy pipe .

No a great heavy barrel, a No 3 contour just need to work on a length. I've got a good walnut stock for the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    If I can shoot 500 varmints a year that's average of 10 a day everyday

I see you got an A in maths

Ten a day every day is 3,650/yr

Nah, 50 days a years, is the number of days his wife allows him to play with his toys ;-)