Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Husky1600
  • 1 Post By northdude
  • 1 Post By Husky1600
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 2 Post By Dicko
  • 1 Post By rewa
  • 1 Post By bunji

Thread: 22 hornet loads

22 hornet loads

Hey guys, just looking for advice/loads for 22 hornet. Have a 1967 Brno zk465 22 hornet. Currently have some imr 4227 and .223 Hornady 45gr soft points but thinking of trying H110 or lilgun and 40gr Sierra .223 hornet projectiles.
    Cheers Jordy

I have a 1949 zkw465. I use 11.2gr Lil Gun and Sierra 40gr HP bullets with Remington brass for a velocity of around 3,100. 224 bullets work OK in the 223 BRNO bore (and in 222 BSA Martini bore as well). I believe the latest wonder powder for the 22 Hornet is Hodgdon Blackout. Whichever powder you use, be careful about the weight of powder and the brass capacity. Remington has the largest capacity. If I used 11.2gr in Winchester brass I would have overloads. Some say that PPU and RWS are the most consistent/best Hornet cases. Lil Gun varies from lot to lot so the load must be worked up again when the powder lot is changed.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    I have a 1949 zkw465. I use 11.2gr Lil Gun and Sierra 40gr HP bullets with Remington brass for a velocity of around 3,100. 224 bullets work OK in the 223 BRNO bore (and in 222 BSA Martini bore as well). I believe the latest wonder powder for the 22 Hornet is Hodgdon Blackout. Whichever powder you use, be careful about the weight of powder and the brass capacity. Remington has the largest capacity. If I used 11.2gr in Winchester brass I would have overloads. Some say that PPU and RWS are the most consistent/best Hornet cases. Lil Gun varies from lot to lot so the load must be worked up again when the powder lot is changed.
    Oh wow! 3100 is not what I was expecting, that’s epic! Okay will try find some Remington brass. Are those seated at mag length? Cheers heaps mate.

I loaded some Hornet for a rifle I had, had to dick around a bit to get an accurate load. From memory it like the boat tail type projectiles better for some reason, 45gn. Li'l Gun was the powder, cant remember the load. And using all the same brand of cases made a big difference. Had to load them to mag length cos you aint got much choice in the ZK465, no room to seat out any longer. Fun wee cartridge, deadly in the right hands.
    JMJW likes this.

northdude
    I have 2 hornets i load for 12.5gr lil gun seems to be what works best in my 2. 35gr v max in one and 40gr hp in the other i use fed sr primers and drop tube when filling the cases
    JMJW likes this.

Wish I could find my data, but I think I was using a small pistol primer with Li'l Gun, shot a bit more consistent after that.
    JMJW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Wish I could find my data, but I think I was using a small pistol primer with Li'l Gun, shot a bit more consistent after that.
    Yep, always got better results with small pistol primers.
    Some would say using them is risky though but unless you're being stupid the Hornet doesn't run at high pressures.
    And of course Li'l Gun runs at real low pressures.
    JMJW likes this.

I shoot a win pre 64 model 70 .22H.

I find anywhere between 11 and 13 grains of Lill gun works well, 12-13 is best for me. Projectile choice makes a Hugh difference. 40 gn Nosler or 45 gn Sierra in .224.

SR primers just fine
    . WW brass or Hornady both good. Lee collet sizer.

Now this is the Hint, user a lee crimper to get even case neck tension on the projectiles and the thin case walls.
    Husky1600 and JMJW like this.

In my old ZK Hornet, cci small pistol primers,9.5gr 4227, 45gr sierra FB (.223) , not the fastest load, but accurate enough to put through the ear of anything within a hundred metres or so. Foolishly sold it, now have the later 70's 'Fox' that I'm considering the 'K' modification for, groups poorly but hasnt been bedded etc. and has less than 100rds through from new, so might just need running-in.
    JMJW likes this.

I just saw this post after l was transferring some of my old reloading data into the computer before the old stuff in my books/pads gets lost or destroyed.I really rate the Hornet & have used various rifles in it over the years,my last one was a Ruger, that all my daughter asked for on her 18th Birthday was for it after she had used it as her go to rifle for years growing up.

The loads l worked up for that using LIL'GUN, that were both highly accurate & good game getters ,taking hundreds of goats,pigs & even Fallow deer over the years & untold rabbits & hares, as we had a mate with a farm in some good country, whose wife hated guns, so he wanted something relatively quiet to take care of his pest problems,my daughter ended up being a pretty good shot from her years using it with out worrying about the kick or noise.

With a load of the same 13 grn of LIL'GUN pushing the 45gn Barnes at 2780 fps and the 50gn Sierra at 2715 (3 shot MOA)for goats etc & for the smaller game the same charge pushed the 35gn V-Max at 2842 & the 40gn Speer at 2826 (favorite load shot just under 3/4 MOA for 5 shots) . The 55gn Hornady gave 2650 but we had great success with the Barnes & Sierra on goats & deer so never really bothered trying to get in 223 territory.

I only really took note of the data as l have been thinking about taking up a mates offer to swap a CZ 527 .17 Hornet he no longer uses as he sold his farm ,for a 15hp outboard l have sitting in the shed.
    JMJW likes this.