Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: 2208 vs 2206h for .308

Rup

2208 vs 2206h for .308

I've been tinkering with a load for my tikka .308 (11in twist)

I've done some preliminary tinkering with a load using 155gr sierra tmk and discovered;

1. 2206h is giving far better velocities but worse groups. Best being 1 moa but average velocity is 2800.

2. 2208 is giving cloverleaf groups and velocity is around 2600. My cases fill up before getting close to max load (adi reckons 47gr).

What would you go with?

Accuracy over velocity?

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Don’t chase velocity
    Accuracy is the goal
    As long as the projectiles are expanding, you’re all good

Cue MD in 3 2 1…..
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Ummmm........accuracy every time.
    timattalon, Bent Barrel and blip like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Try some different seating depths with the 2206h. You will find your group sizes change. Then you might have the velocity and the accuracy.
    veitnamcam, BSA270 and 6.5 CRD like this.

Depends a bit on what your using it for. I'd prefer 2800fps and 1moa (providing it's consistent and not just one group) for big game hunting out to 300m than 2600fps and better accuracy. For target shooting or small game I'd take the hit on velocity to have better accuracy.

If you're rifle shoots the projectile well though I'd try different loads (seating depths, primers,etc.) with the 2206h first.

Think of it this way, if the bullet misses it's target the velocity becomes irrelevant.
    Last edited by 7mm tragic; 11-06-2023 at 09:32 PM. Reason: grammar

use what youve got.... there you go FF.... either will do the job.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.22-250 View Post
    Depends a bit on what your using it for. I'd prefer 2800fps and 1moa (providing it's consistent and not just one group) for big game hunting out to 300m than 2600fps and better accuracy. For target shooting or small game I'd take the hit on velocity to have better accuracy.

If you're rifle shoots the projectile well though I'd try different loads (seating depths, primers,etc.) with the 2206h first.
    Good advice right there.

The "goto" load that usually works for me in 308 is 46gn of 2206h behind a 150 - 165gn bullet, it'll often shoot sub 0.5 moa without any further faffing. It's a John Barsness (Muledeer on many forums) special and also a thing with the NRA guys. With a wee fine tune of seating depth I've personally gotten it to 0.3 moa in two different rifles with Targex 165gn bullets - quite hot with the 165 but I was still getting 5 plus loads from cases. As usual work up to it.
    Micky Duck and flock like this.

With 2208 you should be able to get higher velocity ( 2700 fps +/- ) at safe pressure levels. Try seating the bullets for longer COAL ( provided they will still feed from the magazine ) which should allow you to bump up the powder charge a little. By experimenting with COAL you may find you can tighten groups up satisfactorily.
    I'm assuming your rifle has the standard factory length barrel and not shortened that could restrict potential velocities. If that is the case you might have to try different powders to get into the velocity levels you hope for.
    flock likes this.

As @Roarless20 said, try a seating depth ladder with your 2206h load. Im not an expert handloader by any means but from my own experience, if the gun has proven it can group better, chances are tweaking the seating depth with the powder that shoots worse groups will tighten up, probably not far from where you are for COAL with the 2208 load.

Greetings @Rup,
    A .308 not shooting well with AR2206H. The rifle must be possessed by demons. AR2206H has been my go to for the last 20 years in my .308 rifles. My M700 does not shoot the 150 grain boat tail projectiles well though. Flat base 150's yes and 165 grain projectiles even better. Full power and reduced loads it does not matter just not 150 grain boat tails. Will post some examples later
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Link, Micky Duck, BSA270 and 1 others like this.

Greetings again @Rup,
    About three year ago I ran some velocity tests with 5 different powders and 3 different projectiles in my .308. At the time I wrote up the results in NZ Guns and more recently in posts here. While the aim was to test for velocities some effort was made to look at groups. All the projectiles were flat base in 125, 150 and 165 grains. Only two shots were shot with each weight and with the same powder charge. Generally the accuracy improved as the projectile weight increased. I also noted a big difference in velocity between AR2206H and AR2208 with both the 150 and 165 grain projectiles, over 100 fps with the same charge and I wondered if I would be able to match the velocity for AR2206H with AR2208 before I ran out of case capacity. I use a lot of AR2206H in other cartridges so the decision was made to stick with that.
    I also need to mention that a single 3 shot group tells you little about the accuracy of a load. In my not particularly humble opinion you need around 10 shots to give any confidence in the accuracy of a load. Some dote on a load that shot a tiny usually three shot group once and never test it again. Don't hesitate to ask specific questions and PM me if you prefer.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    BSA270 and dannyb like this.

Just out if curiosity what is your barrel length. I'm doing the same thing right now but am shooting heavier pills.

I’m in the accuracy over velocity camp and the change projectile camp too.

43.5 grains of 2206 with 165gr has always had me in the high 2600’s early 2700’s and accurate - won’t win any races but never had any arguments out to 425y.

Have a listen to the Hornady podcast “You group sizes are too small’ from Dec 16 2022 and you might find your groups are better or worse with both powders than you think….
    Steelisreal and dannyb like this.

I ended up going 2206H. I got better accuracy out of this powder over the 2208, using 165g TGK.