Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: .223 load

Micky Duck said it. There's a plethora of options.
    If I was hunting with the .223 I would pick my bullet first (or whatever suitable hunting bullets you can get) then pick the powder from there (again, from whichever powders are available to you) Then reloading manuals will do the rest.
    The limitations of components on the market will make some of your choices for you.

FWIW I chose 25.5gr of Belmont 748 or 747 Action Rifle, with 69gr Nosler, or 69 TMK. These gave excellent accuracy in my Tikka 1-8", and the same from my Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    @tac a1 with a I:8 twist you have the advantage of being able to use heavy for caliber bullets - up to 80 grn ELDM and Targex etc. I think that a 16" barrel handicaps that advantage. I would go for a 18" and personally I favour 20". Have a look at @gimp's Howa on the .223 hunting thread - its 18" and is a neat little package and I think he tops 2800 fps with 80grn.

You can still shoot light bullets with a 1:8 if you want to.

I notice that on here the people with really short barrels use lighter bullets to keep the speed up which with a 1:8 barrel to me seems to be counter intuitive.
    Remington!
    Cameron92 likes this.

@Oldbloke. Whilst one should always consult reloading manuals it has to be said that there are a fair number of very experienced hunters/reloaders on this forum who may be willing to share their useful load data, be it for lighter or heavier projectiles. As anyone who reloads knows you research any info. received and work up your loads watching for warning signs.
    veitnamcam and tac a1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Remington!
    OK... have a look at gimp's REMINGTON...
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    @Oldbloke. Whilst one should always consult reloading manuals it has to be said that there are a fair number of very experienced hunters/reloaders on this forum who may be willing to share their useful load data, be it for lighter or heavier projectiles. As anyone who reloads knows you research any info. received and work up your loads watching for warning signs.
    In general I don't post my exact powder loads on any forum. All other details no prob.
    woods223 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    In general I don't post my exact powder loads on any forum. All other details no prob.
    I’m happy to mention my powder charge weights if they fall between the powder manufacturers starting-max load data recommendations.
    If I’ve exceeded the maximum recommended weight then I keep it to myself.
    zimmer likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

26gns of 2206H behind a 69gn TMK works for me

I use 23.5gr of 2206H with the 77gr TMK's but I have a full length uncut barrel with no suppressor and its a Tikka 1.8 twist.
    When hunting think safety first

Download "Gordons Reloading Tool" it's free. You can have a play with different powders, projectiles, overall lenghts, amount burn in the barrel allsorts of info, cost you nothing and a great place to start. Start low, suggested loads are mild.
    Here an example
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  239.0 KB
    Barefoot and Oldbloke like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    26gns of 2206H behind a 69gn TMK works for me
    At good speed to! Your rifle is going to cost me a t3x superlight .223 before long
    Nathan F and 25/08 IMP like this.

4grns of trailboss behind a 55grn pill is hornady recipe for subsonic.....havent tried it yet but 3.5 behind same in 222 is scarey quiet..tried one out a couple of hours ago..projectile hitting puddle 70 yards away was louder than the shot.phit splat.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

[QUOTE=flock;1463386]Download "Gordons Reloading Tool" it's free. You can have a play with different powders, projectiles, overall lenghts, amount burn in the barrel allsorts of info, cost you nothing and a great place to start. Start low, suggested loads are mild.
    Here an example

Just downloaded GRT and put in the current test load, surprisingly close to what the real results were.
    flock likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    4grns of trailboss behind a 55grn pill is hornady recipe for subsonic.....havent tried it yet but 3.5 behind same in 222 is scarey quiet..tried one out a couple of hours ago..projectile hitting puddle 70 yards away was louder than the shot.phit splat.
    You planning on doing a sneaky on those animals you saw when you went for as walk with the boss recently. LOL.
    Shearer likes this.

not at all.....infact got even closer to one of them today..called him ANGUS..... will do photo off phone thing soon,all of 25-30 yards away.
    but that peski possum the scoots up tree when out deer stalking...or cheeky wallaby if after a deer. they are also plurry good for finishing something off..no big blast and brain splatter.

Name:  IMG_20230623_154435.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  1.95 MB
    TeRei and Mathias like this.