Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: .243

Ladder test last week Tikka T3 with Hodgdon superprofrmance and Hornady 100grn BTSP.
    Had a node at 33.8 to 44.2 so loaded 5 of each and then settled on 44 for 1/2 MOA 3 shot group and 2929fps from a 20" barrel.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Mooseman and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Attachment 148031
    This is from the 1980 3rd Ed
    Ive still got some H450. It was a great powder.

Half a pot. Someone can have it for free if they want.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @mucko is that the old Hornady 87gr sp that used to be one of the go-to's for the 243 for deer?
    They only reference that weight now as a varmint bullet.
    thats the ones mate
    csmiffy likes this.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

So it hasnt changed as such, they just dont reckon it's any good for deer then?

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    So it hasnt changed as such, they just dont reckon it's any good for deer then?
    It will still do the same job, my rifle didn't like them much with about 2 inch groups at 100 yds.

sneakywaza I got
    The Hornady 87gn hp was killing deer dead back in the eighties, and in my Hornady load manual of that decade it was listed as a medium game pill, It is still killing deer now, but now Hornady list it as a varmint pill only - I'll bet it's down to too many yanks not understanding animal anatomy and the pill they are using, and then blaming the pill and the manufacturers designation for it.

Have just loaded up a bunch of the 87hp and 87 Sierra sp and I plan on killing a freezer full of deer with either one! and a bunch of hoppers with the sp.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    The Hornady 87gn hp was killing deer dead back in the eighties, and in my Hornady load manual of that decade it was listed as a medium game pill, It is still killing deer now, but now Hornady list it as a varmint pill only - I'll bet it's down to too many yanks not understanding animal anatomy and the pill they are using, and then blaming the pill and the manufacturers designation for it.

Have just loaded up a bunch of the 87hp and 87 Sierra sp and I plan on killing a freezer full of deer with either one! and a bunch of hoppers with the sp.
    There is a heap on tm cheap bro. 230+ projectiles
    257weatherby likes this.

there was a 87grn hornady sp that was doing great things on sika back then too...think it was Graham Onlow??? who did article on it in rod n rifle....
    always thought a barnes mono of somewhere around 70grns would be just about perfect EBRG fodder if the boffins at Barnes made the thing fragile enough to open up properly....Ive done enough looking and seen enough testing done to believe not all monos are produced equal...there can be huge difference between seemingly similar projectiles...of the 10 or so .277 ones on market there are less than 4 that work ideally.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Graeme Omlo, from memory
    Micky Duck likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

pretty close for an old memory dug from my brain thats not flash on good day LOL.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    there was a 87grn hornady sp that was doing great things on sika back then too...think it was Graham Onlow??? who did article on it in rod n rifle....
    always thought a barnes mono of somewhere around 70grns would be just about perfect EBRG fodder if the boffins at Barnes made the thing fragile enough to open up properly....Ive done enough looking and seen enough testing done to believe not all monos are produced equal...there can be huge difference between seemingly similar projectiles...of the 10 or so .277 ones on market there are less than 4 that work ideally.
    That same Hornady 87sp is listed right along with the 87hp as a medium game bullet in my 1980 Hornady manual.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    That same Hornady 87sp is listed right along with the 87hp as a medium game bullet in my 1980 Hornady manual.
    What is the code number for the so?
    I have some 2440, that aren't listed on the Hornady website anymore.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    What is the code number for the so?
    I have some 2440, that aren't listed on the Hornady website anymore.
    Tell you on Monday when I'm where the manual is.

The 87gr on tm were 2440 I am sure

Well be nice to know.
    If I dont find the targex any good I might try to get some of these.
    Still have a half dozen reloads from years ago that had these.