Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: .243 POWDERS

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac View Post
    Thanks @ Thar, my 8 year old son has claimed the rifle. He shot his first deer with it when he was 5 and his first bull last year.
    I load it back a bit to around 3000 with 85 gr serrias so recoil is light and he's knocked over 30 odd deer with it.
    Magic wee gun��
    That's wonderful to hear and warms my heart. Not many of those Micro Brownings around.
    I shot a 13" Bull with it and a few other so its well attuned to Tahr.
    ANTSMAN, GWH and Micky Duck like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    44gr of H414 or W760 with a 85-87gr, is the ducks nuts in two 243's i load for. Fine tune the seating depth to suit the barrel of course
    I use win 760/H414 too. Got good groups and sounded like decent speeds. still have a decent amount of factory ammo so am yet to use it
    ANTSMAN, GWH and Longrun like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I use win 760/H414 too. Got good groups and sounded like decent speeds. still have a decent amount of factory ammo so am yet to use it
    It can shoot seriously good groups, I brought an old rebarreled Rem Mod 7 from a mates estate, he had alot of awesome hunting history with it, i had hunted with him a few times and knew his love for it, and knew he was a good fussy handloader, it came with a few remaining handloads which i tested in it, it shot under a 1 inch group at 300 yards. I didnt know what the powder charge or bullet was, so i pulled one apart (after measuring the coal) and reverse-engineered it, 85gr Sierra HPBT with 44gr of H414, at whatever the coal was (i have it recorded). I loaded some more up and bingo! Its a good powder, you either love or hate ball powder, it doesnt bother me.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yeah the micro is a handy size, we are very lucky to end up with it. That's good going with bulls��
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac View Post
    I use 43gr of RL 17 in @Tahrs old xbolt with sierra 90 and 85 gr bullets. 3100 - 3200 off memory
    Where do you buy RL 17. Had some and loaded up a few rounds. Nice powder.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Where do you buy RL 17. Had some and loaded up a few rounds. Nice powder.
    no where now bro , gun shitty used to............

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    no where now bro , gun shitty used to............
    Emailed Steves Wholesale. Future might be bright. Who knows. It has performed. So keen to use it.
    ANTSMAN likes this.

H414 / W760 work well for me in my 2x 243's for my 70-87gr projectiles. reloading data shows they are good for a range of weights from 65-95gr.
    for heavy bullets in my custom 243 I have used W780 (now obsolete) currently use RL26.

the Hodgdon reloading web site is great. they have a good range of loads from 55gr @ >4000fps up to 115 gr @ 2960fps.
    Z

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    H414 / W760 work well for me in my 2x 243's for my 70-87gr projectiles. reloading data shows they are good for a range of weights from 65-95gr.
    for heavy bullets in my custom 243 I have used W780 (now obsolete) currently use RL26.

the Hodgdon reloading web site is great. they have a good range of loads from 55gr @ >4000fps up to 115 gr @ 2960fps.
    Z
    For heavy bullets in 243 (ie 100gr) IMR7828ssc also produces good velocity, even in short barrels
    ANTSMAN likes this.

I bought off a guy Nelson about 8 years ago for my 300wsm who run a small hunting equipment online shop.
    He no longer operates due to his health. Yeah great powder
    ANTSMAN likes this.