Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: 260 Rem, AI & Imp

This actually got me thinking about having a play with the VLD's, just had a measure up and I can fit 2.950 Col in my mag, and the VLD's are touching the lands at 2.940
    Might load some up tonight starting with 43gr 2209 and seat them at 2.920 to give that 20 thou jump. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Yep got the very same gun myself and the throat is way to long as standard for the mag. I've got a fix too but it's not a long mag....
    Set barrel back and re-chamber?

Wouldn't you be better off to go the longer oal and get more powder in.
    Rather than setting back

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum likes this.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Ryan I also played with 2209 and 140 VLDs. Bearing in mind every Rifle and chamber is different, I got to 45gn 2209 before pressure signs and around 2750 F/S. Then I started to play with Superformance powder......

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Set barrel back and re-chamber?
    No, I've got a Shilen select match barrel and a short throat 30 degree improved reamer which I had before I bought the T3. I thought about using the original barrel but the reports from gunsmiths tell me that the barrel steel on these T3's do not ream well if just trying to do an improved chamber. According to the info on the reamer the 140 VLD's hit the lands at 2.873". I had a Sako M591 that I was originally going to use but elected to buy a T3 as a donor.
    puku likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HOWA308 View Post
    Ryan I also played with 2209 and 140 VLDs. Bearing in mind every Rifle and chamber is different, I got to 45gn 2209 before pressure signs and around 2750 F/S. Then I started to play with Superformance powder......
    Which superformance powder is it you are using? I was told there's a few different ones, is that correct? I also heard that one of them is an excellent powder for magnum chamberings so might be worth picking some up to have a play around with my 7mmRM

Which superformance powder is it you are using? I was told there's a few different ones, is that correct? I also heard that one of them is an excellent powder for magnum chamberings so might be worth picking some up to have a play around with my 7mmRM
    This is the Superformance powder I use for my 300wsm and also 260. I know the factory loaded Superformance ammunition has different blends for different calibers, but they have only released this powder as far as I'm aware?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  583.2 KB

Remington Model 7 260 Rem, bedded, ... being a stubborn bastard I started playing with 139gr Lapua Scenar's, and now it does this....
    Yep, they're a very good projectile but pretty useless on game. Like their 123gr smaller brother, they pencil through stuff most of the time
    outdoorlad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Yep, they're a very good projectile but pretty useless on game. Like their 123gr smaller brother, they pencil through stuff most of the time
    I have a couple of chamois heads in my garage and some venison in my freezer that begs to differ with that statement.... Shot placement is everything.

At 260 speeds I havnt had a problem using the Scenar's, I'm pushing them at 2780 at the muzzle and was hesitant about them pencilling so I aim to break the front shoulders, I have a recovered projectile somewhere, I will try dig it out and post a photo.

What I'm alluding to is the pencil-through if you -don't- hit bone.
    Sounds like you hit bone on the way in on all three occasions.

I've hit goats at less than 100yds with the 123s (which were still doing over 2800) and the results were worse on average than any basic softpoint, and prob not even as good as the .223. Too many slow-to-expire for my liking, def wouldn't use them again even though they shoot single hole groups.
    Last edited by 6x47; 14-12-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HOWA308 View Post
    This is the Superformance powder I use for my 300wsm and also 260. I know the factory loaded Superformance ammunition has different blends for different calibers, but they have only released this powder as far as I'm aware?

Attachment 43572
    Thanks, now you mention it I think thats where my confusion came from, factory loads are different powders. Might have to have a play with it. I also have some V N560 powder here that is aparently good in the 260 but havnt tried it yet

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    What I'm alluding to is the pencil-through if you -don't- hit bone.
    Sounds like you hit bone on the way in on all three occasions.

I've hit goats at less than 100yds with the 123s (which were still doing over 2800) and the results were worse on average than any basic softpoint, and prob not even as good as the .223. Too many slow-to-expire for my liking, def wouldn't use them again even though they shoot single hole groups.
    Yes my initial hesitation came from a test that was published on the internet (maybe by Nathan Foster? I cant remember...) where the scenars were used on goats and were not hitting enough bone and providing less than satisfactory performance.

this a group out of my 260 and i must apologize for the quality it always seems to go to shit every time i put a vid through movie maker

range is 1026 yards and if you squint you might see the pills land at 12 o'clock on the square target on the left .

it is vertically stung but not bad .

the group at 3 o'clock is just on 4.5" for 4 shots

Name:  IMG_2590 (Medium).JPG
Views: 719
Size:  193.6 KB
    Last edited by deye223; 15-12-2015 at 01:34 AM.