Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: 260 Rem, AI & Imp

Got my first load of 140 VLDs ready to go, will test them tommorow and hopefully post a video with results. Have decided to use Vit N560 powder, starting at 44grs

StrikerNZ and deye223 like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Yep still using them. I think they are a pretty efficient projectile for the 260Rem if you are feeding from a standard small action magazine. I would prefer the 140gr hybrids for their BC but they simply take up too much magazine and case capacity. Drop data puts them at 3020fps, Magnetospeed puts them at 2980fps, ES of 7fps over 5 rounds.

I wouldn't say there is bugger all accuracy difference going to palma brass - not any more than you would gain with neck turning anyway. What you gain with palma brass is a stronger case design that you can push to slightly higher pressures than standard 260 cases. For me that doesn't amount to much as my load i about a grain under where i started to notice the increased recoil and thought i had better stop increasing the powder load - didn't actually see pressure signs on the cases. But i have about 300 palma cases in total for this 260 and have put about 3500 rounds through them (over two barrels) and have thrown out less than 5 for either split necks or loose primer pockets. Some of the original 100 lot of cases i got have done easily more than 15 reloads now.

You have a standard .260 rem doing nearly 3000fps with 130 gr bullets?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    he probably does mine are doing 2930 and their not hot

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Yes, 26" barrel, minimum SAMMI specification 260 Remington chamber except for the neck which was slightly tighter.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Quote Originally Posted by deye223 View Post
    i have only put 8oo through mine and have lost 0.047" of the lands so not real impressed with MADDCO barrels ATM but it is accurate but for how much longer ?
    See I never bothered to measure mine. The projectiles were always loaded to suit the magazine length - once I determined that seated to that depth they didn't contact the lands. I expect they had quite a jump towards the end of the barrel life.

Blowing a gale here this morning, no load testing today

Shot back in January this year. That is a 10" target and was planed about 980m if my memory serves. I shot this group as a test for the load development on the brand new barrel (hadn't even been blued as you can see in the photo.

Rifle is my .260Rem Sako 85 varmint. Group was shot with 130gr berger VLD-H, lapua palma cases, AR2209 powder, and federal small rifle match primers.

Shoot any animals with that thing @Gillie or just steel?

Yeah have shot a few - deer , goats, rabbits, magpies, hares, etc. It has been relegated to a middle distance field target rifle now though - it shoots awesome but is a bit on the heavy side for hunting. I have a Sako 85 hunter in .243 that is first pick when I am hunting now.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Yeah have shot a few - deer , goats, rabbits, magpies, hares, etc. It has been relegated to a middle distance field target rifle now though - it shoots awesome but is a bit on the heavy side for hunting. I have a Sako 85 hunter in .243 that is first pick when I am hunting now.
    Magpies and rabbits must be impressive

Not too much really, in my experience the 130gr bergers need a bit of body depth to really open up and perform i.e. I think they do a couple of inch's of penetration before they come to pieces. Freaking impressive performance on fallow and red deer, and on half grown to full grown goats - small goats and small game though they tend to pencil through a bit and then open up. The 130gr bergers are not a varmint bullet in my opinion.

40gr V-Maxs at 3200fps out of my 22K-hornet are much more impressive on small game.

Got out this morning and had a crack at the 1000 yard shooting. Conditions were good with very little wind and about 20'c warm and sunny. First shots were high with 1 from 3 hitting the top of the target (20 x 20 inch steel plate) I dialled down 1/2 MoA on the second attempt with 3 solid hits. Took a total of 32 MoA at 995m or 1088 yards to impact target. Had about a 6 inch spread of shoots in the 3 round group.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 511
Size:  164.8 KB

Views: 501
Size:  191.0 KB

Views: 497
Size:  194.2 KB

Views: 512
Size:  162.7 KB

260 Rem, AI & Imp

Quote Originally Posted by deye223 View Post
    he probably does mine are doing 2930 and their not hot
    What powder? To kick an old thread back in the guts. Obviously a 26" vs my 20 but hit pressure early using 2209. Yet to chrono.
    130 sirroco - being closer to lands increased the pressure much more quickly?
    Dan M

I know others have tried different powders. I started with 2209 like you had pressure signs also, the tried Superformance powder which is a slower blend of powder I used in my 300wsm which gave good results. Worth a try?
    Danny likes this.

2209 and no because i do all my load development starting in to the lands

as if it don't work out there is only one way go and thats back off , so far

my 223 is the only rifle that don't like it touching .
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    What powder? To kick an old thread back in the guts. Obviously a 26" vs my 20 but hit pressure early using 2209. Yet to chrono.
    130 sirroco - being closer to lands increased the pressure much more quickly?
    Try win 760 as l had the same problem with 2209 760 was much better.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Danny likes this.