Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 270 load tests.

Point where the two boxes meet.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Have you tried just a black dot big enough to just quarter with the cross hair?
    kiwijames, R93 and Gibo like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Have you tried just a black dot big enough to just quarter with the cross hair?
    I think target quality is just as important as the firing point setup to aid accurate shooting and is often overlooked.
    Different targets suit different people and reticle. But I doubt I personally would feel confident determining accuracy with the above style of target.
    If I am shooting well, I have only a slight vertical movement of the cross hair on the shot and it settles back on center during the follow thru. If the sight moves any other way on breaking the shot, I totally adjust my position until I get it right.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, BRADS, Gibo and 1 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Scott, what are some of the other details?
    Brass, make, have you weight sorted it?
    Cases full size or neck sized?

It maybe that your rifle just doesn't like the projectiles. as Nosler can be a bit fussy.
    veitnamcam, R93 and Danny like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Federal brass. Once fired in this rifle.
    not weight sorted but trimmed and chamfered.
    neck sized only. Of the 5rds of each of 8 loads (40rds), 4 wouldn't close the bolt, even though the rounds without projectiles were fine. I blacked the projectile on the rds with a sharpie and found a stripe on the projectile like it was in the case crooked.

Dies are hornady. Press is hornady.
    powder is ADI2209.
    CCI primers.

Don't want a target rifle, just a hunter.
    Bell and carlson stock but not bedded.
    Rem700 20inch barrel. Gunworks suppressor.
    shot off a bipod, though the table prob wasn't the steadiest.

If its just a hunter a couple of those groups would be fine then

Less shooty at paper and more shooty at animals.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    Federal brass. Once fired in this rifle.
    not weight sorted but trimmed and chamfered.
    neck sized only. Of the 5rds of each of 8 loads (40rds), 4 wouldn't close the bolt, even though the rounds without projectiles were fine. I blacked the projectile on the rds with a sharpie and found a stripe on the projectile like it was in the case crooked.

Dies are hornady. Press is hornady.
    powder is ADI2209.
    CCI primers.

Don't want a target rifle, just a hunter.
    Bell and carlson stock but not bedded.
    Rem700 20inch barrel. Gunworks suppressor.
    shot off a bipod, though the table prob wasn't the steadiest.
    Okay. FC brass is pretty average though. I would weight sort them and throw out the extreme low and highs.
    Its also a shocker for primer pockets being too shallow and the flash hole having big burrs left in it, effecting the flash from the primer.
    FC factory ammo is also pretty average with headspace/shoulders. In fact I have some factory FC .270 ammo I've had to bump the shoulder back to chamber in forum member Broadleaf's Sako .270.
    The mark is prob just from chambering the round, don't be too worried, unless you truly have a crooked round (run out).
    Dies, press, powder and primers are good.

I wouldn't shoot off a bipod off a table, as it tends to vibrate and effect the harmonics, shoot either off soft ground (ie grass, or a exercise mat, not concrete) with the bipod, or a sandbag on a bench.
    Also the bipod may be causing the forestock to touch the barrel, so check the barrel clearance.
    Shooting off a sand bag should be better, as the pressure on the stock is further back.
    Try to use a rear bag as well, if you don't have one, use a pair of thick socks held in your left fist, with left arm (assuming you are a rightie) tucked back. Squeeze the sock to raise stock and lower aim, relax fist to lower stock and raise aim.
    Last edited by dogmatix; 15-07-2015 at 09:43 AM.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Okay. FC brass is pretty average though. I would weight sort them and throw out the extreme low and highs.
    Its also a shocker for primer pockets being too shallow and the flash hole having big burrs left in it, effecting the flash from the primer.
    FC factory ammo is also pretty average with headspace/shoulders. In fact I have some factory FC .270 ammo I've had to bump the shoulder back to chamber in forum member Broadleaf's Sako .270.
    The mark is prob just from chambering the round, don't be too worried, unless you truly have a crooked round (run out).
    Dies, press, powder and primers are good.

I wouldn't shoot off a bipod off a table, as it tends to vibrate and effect the harmonics, shoot either off soft ground (ie grass, or a exercise mat, not concrete) with the bipod, or a sandbag on a bench.
    Also the bipod may be causing the forestock to touch the barrel, so check the barrel clearance.
    Shooting off a sand bag should be better, as the pressure on the stock is further back.
    Try to use a rear bag as well, if you don't have one, use a pair of thick socks held in your left fist, with left arm (assuming you are a rightie) tucked back. Squeeze the sock to raise stock and lower aim, relax fist to lower stock and raise aim.
    Thanks for the info. Yes had a rear bag under butt. given the location shooting off the ground wasn't possible (chewed up winter kale strip)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk