Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: 270 loads

You guys are getting some good performance from your 270's. Modern powders and components sure have breathed some new life into the old codger.

I expect that this might create a bit of a resurgence in its popularity.

By comparison my 270wsm (Sako A7, 22" barrel) is achieving 3130fps with the 145eldx. I could push it a bit more but Im at a nice accuracy node. I guess the only advantage of the wsm is that its doing it easily when the standard .270 is at its max.

But then again I'm using a bucket of powder to do it.
    outdoorlad and Mooseman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    You guys are getting some good performance from your 270's. Modern powders and components sure have breathed some new life into the old codger.

By comparison my 270wsm (Sako A7, 22" barrel) is achieving 3130fps with the 145eldx. I could push it a bit more but Im at a nice accuracy node. I guess the only advantage of the wsm is that its doing it easily when the standard .270 is at its max.

wow that's really not far off what I'm getting with my standard .270 145g ELDX @2930fps F all in it if you ask my that wasn't a hot load and there was room to stoke it up more but it's very accurate so I'm more than happy with it.
    no pressure signs at all.
    Mooseman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    wow that's really not far off what I'm getting with my standard .270 145g ELDX @2930fps F all in it if you ask my that wasn't a hot load and there was room to stoke it up more but it's very accurate so I'm more than happy with it.
    no pressure signs at all.
    Exactly. You wouldn’t keep up with the 150 grn though. I get the same velocity with them as the 145.
    dannyb likes this.

Went out today to test the new batch of powder and getting the same consistent grouping shot 3 @100yds no mucking about just lying prone off my pack with sand flies buzzing in my face
    Still getting 2930fps average
    145 edlx
    Name:  IMG_20181001_184123.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  3.58 MB
    Tahr, Mooseman and csmiffy like this.

Nice shooting dannyb you would be happy with those results.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

What weight of powder do you use with the 145 ELD X and the 150 gr. From memory I was using 63-64 grs ? of IMR 4350 in my 270 WSM in Canada with the 130 gr Barnes XLC for 3240 fps.
    Good load knocked the Mulie bucks over good.

Couple of pictures of the Mule deer bucks I shot in Canada with the 270 WSMName:  62.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  479.0 KB the first was shot in 2005 at just under 300 yards.

Name:  Dad's Big Mule Deer 4X4 2007 (10).JPG
Views: 328
Size:  250.5 KB This Buck was shot in 2007 at a range of 70 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Went out today to test the new batch of powder and getting the same consistent grouping shot 3 @100yds no mucking about just lying prone off my pack with sand flies buzzing in my face
    Still getting 2930fps average
    145 edlx
    Attachment 96107
    Henceforth known as "The Two Dollar Group"
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Henceforth known as "The Two Dollar Group"
    Love it that's "gold"

dannyb ...not being a smartarse but passing along a wee gem of wisdom picked up along the way..... notice the size of your group is similar to size of your aiming point???? try a diamond over the guts of a cross hair..I just use vivid marker like you used to draw mark for horizontal and verticle line and then a diamond over the center about 1" square,your fine crosshairs on scope will allow you to see smidgin of baking board around them inside the diamond and your brain will do the rest.... long and short of it ,if you use a 3" aiming mark your group will be 3" if you use a 1/2" aiming mark......MUCH better chance of 1/2" group...if you want to stay with your dot...make it smaller.
    BRADS, Moa Hunter, dannyb and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    What weight of powder do you use with the 145 ELD X and the 150 gr. From memory I was using 63-64 grs ? of IMR 4350 in my 270 WSM in Canada with the 130 gr Barnes XLC for 3240 fps.
    Good load knocked the Mulie bucks over good.
    Im in the States myself at the moment. Home in a couple of weeks so will look up the load then. I used 2217.
    Mooseman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    dannyb ...not being a smartarse but passing along a wee gem of wisdom picked up along the way..... notice the size of your group is similar to size of your aiming point???? try a diamond over the guts of a cross hair..I just use vivid marker like you used to draw mark for horizontal and verticle line and then a diamond over the center about 1" square,your fine crosshairs on scope will allow you to see smidgin of baking board around them inside the diamond and your brain will do the rest.... long and short of it ,if you use a 3" aiming mark your group will be 3" if you use a 1/2" aiming mark......MUCH better chance of 1/2" group...if you want to stay with your dot...make it smaller.
    These days I generally draw a diamond as a target, and aim for the bottom point. Helps make a really precise point of aim.

Hi team

FINALLY got down the range 2nite thort id post my results ... results wer ok but yeh will be curious to see what ur guys thorts are ... did my load ladder at 100 yards next to no wind

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chubby View Post
    Hi team

FINALLY got down the range 2nite thort id post my results ... results wer ok but yeh will be curious to see what ur guys thorts are ... did my load ladder at 100 yards next to no wind

Light lines are half inch n dark lines inch

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Couple of pictures of the Mule deer bucks I shot in Canada with the 270 WSMAttachment 96117 the first was shot in 2005 at just under 300 yards.

Attachment 96118 This Buck was shot in 2007 at a range of 70 yards.
    bloody hell those are solid deer, neck on it like a Bull
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.