Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: 270 powder loads?

Banned
    Yep, shooting 150's reminded me of why I sold the 30-06. Not to say I wouldn't revisit it though am having good success with 130gr berger classic hunters. B.C. of .495 they have same POI as Hornady interlocks at 100m though carry energy much further.

Hi Dan - managed to sneak out and get a few more shots away today. I'm at 2870fps with no serious signs, and velocities are looking very consistent. I even fired off a few rounds with no suppressor to see what they were like - I found them quite manageable.
    The next batch of loads will probably push it over the 2900. Once there I'll set up targets and see what it looks like for grouping.
    I suppose you realise that you will have to test your rifle with loads that are below what I have managed to achieve and then build up gradually, as it would be most unwise to go straight to my finished load. Also - I have gone to this trouble because I want the killing energy/performance out to 450yds , knowing that this will diminish the further out the target is. If your requirement is different - that is to say you don't intend to take game this far out - then you wont need to have a load that is knocking on the front door of "maximum charge". Cheers

Thanks Kurlyman
    I really appreciate it. We don't have a suppressor on the 270. I have on my 308 and 7mm08 and found it's really improved my shooting. I have recommended my Father in law gets one. Yes I certainly agree I'll need to work up to the max load from a sensible start point. I can borrow a friends chrony which will be great too.
    Thanks for the comments on the 7mm08 to, still some work to go there. I've got 139gr sst for this gun too.

Cheers
    Dan

Check out BLACK WATCH RELOADING - Black Watch Reloading for ANZAC sales all this week guys!

Another point to consider when using ADI powders is that they are less likely to be affected by temperature changes as other powders like WInchester and IMR. Plus you are more likely to be able to get ADI when others become hard to find.
    i41do2 likes this.

OK Dan. For me the velocity testing is complete. I'm going to PM you the results. In this way it now becomes your information, and probably the end of this thread. Cheers
    i41do2 likes this.