Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: .270 Projectiles Lagging Behind

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    How much energy have you got at 500 ? Really, we need 1500 fp minimum for a Red Stag
    How did you come up with that number?
    Oli1102 likes this.

I really like the performance of the Nosler 150gr LRAB and it worked well both far and near, I adjusted the G1 BC to .611 in my Sako Finnlight. In closer ranges under 400m the 140gr AB was a good allrounder but at further distances it would pencil through not killing deer quick enough. I was pushing it distance wise a hell of a lot for the size of the caliber but it had awesome accuracy. In the end I sold it for more knock down power of the 338 edge. In saying that though my 300 Blackout only has 390 f/lb energy with subs at the muzzle and it’s killed plenty of deer past 200m( the right bullet for the job Lehigh Defence 168gr CF ) and also dropped plenty of deer with a 223 over 200m away with less than 600 f/lb energy.

This is my best long range on a deer with a stock standard 270win and 150gr LRAB.
    FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Nosler LR AccuBond up date, kill at 818m

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    How did you come up with that number?
    From personal experience and discussions on this topic with guides on Trophy Parks. I am referring to stags in the rut, when they are pumped up and the neck and shoulder skin is thick and they are hard to kill unless its a neck shot with a hard bullet.

From personal experience and discussions on this topic with guides on Trophy Parks. I am referring to stags in the rut, when they are pumped up and the neck and shoulder skin is thick and they are hard to kill unless its a neck shot with a hard bullet.
    That was also one of the reasons I stopped using 130gr SST on deer from blowing up on the skin. During a roar one of my mates put 5 130gr SST rounds on a stag at 240m then I had to put a 140gr AB to stop it, the SST’s made a real mess on the shoulder and it wasn’t a very big red stag. I don’t think the smaller SST’s can handle the higher velocity at close range.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    That was also one of the reasons I stopped using 130gr SST on deer from blowing up on the skin. During a roar one of my mates put 5 130gr SST rounds on a stag at 240m then I had to put a 140gr AB to stop it, the SST’s made a real mess on the shoulder and it wasn’t a very big red stag. I don’t think the smaller SST’s can handle the higher velocity at close range.
    I only hope that a lot of people read what you have written about the SST. Just last weekend a mate shot a 15 month hind at 300 metres in the shoulder with an SST. He saw the hit, deer headed down at 45 degrees into bush. I grid searched 100 x 100 metres in a zig zag down the face with a dog - no deer
    I shot a stag the next day right on dark with a 140 AB. Poor shot placement from a down hill shot in the almost dark was high 75 mm under the spine. Blew a 50mm hole straight through the stag clipping one lung lobe and he made a 80 metre run and collapsed. That is the first deer I have shot with the 140 AB
    dannyb likes this.

The reason for the lower BC bullets is that the vast majority of 270's are 1 in 10 twist so anything more than 140gr is borderline to stableise
    I shoot 170grn projectiles out of mine into tight wee groups...but they are too plurry good for poking at paper,it did same with 160grn lapua megas and every 150grn projectile tried...and its a 80s model 70 without controlled feed 1:10 twist.....try telling my rifle it wont stabalise them.
    GSP HUNTER and dannyb like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I shoot 170grn projectiles out of mine into tight wee groups...but they are too plurry good for poking at paper,it did same with 160grn lapua megas and every 150grn projectile tried...and its a 80s model 70 without controlled feed 1:10 twist.....try telling my rifle it wont stabalise them.
    Yes all 270s will stabilise the old shorter style projectiles including 150's, but it's those new long high BC ones that cause the problems for a lot of rifles.

Thanks fellas - good points and perspectives.

As I said, the .270 offerings lag behind the 6.5s and 7s, but are plenty good enough for most and certainly for me. I just bought a .270, so I’m joining the club, not knocking it.
    GSP HUNTER, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    60gns of N560 in Norma brass. 24" barrel.
    Was that a max load ? I am at 3000 close enough from a 22" and happy with that.
    andyanimal31 likes this.

Was that a max load ? I am at 3000 close enough from a 22" and happy with that.
    Pretty hot. Wouldn’t have wanted to go over that and it shot well so no need. The ABs do work best at speed though.
    Moa Hunter and Dyls like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I got given a part box of bog standard hornady 140grn interlocts...was going to use them for wallabies,rifle shot stupid wee groups with them so they went deer stalking cause rifle was sighted in with them...Ive shot two red hinds both at 300-350 yards,both chest/shoulder shot.one went 20 yards,the other went 120 yards TOWARDS ME....lol... between the two I lost about 500grms of meat....bog standard boring....I dont do the dial up thing.....yip they a long way but about that,aim a little high on shoulder and sent shot away.
    you folk with rangefinder and dialing up should be able to double that distance with no trouble at all.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I got given a part box of bog standard hornady 140grn interlocts...was going to use them for wallabies,rifle shot stupid wee groups with them so they went deer stalking cause rifle was sighted in with them...Ive shot two red hinds both at 300-350 yards,both chest/shoulder shot.one went 20 yards,the other went 120 yards TOWARDS ME....lol... between the two I lost about 500grms of meat....bog standard boring....I dont do the dial up thing.....yip they a long way but about that,aim a little high on shoulder and sent shot away.
    you folk with rangefinder and dialing up should be able to double that distance with no trouble at all.
    I used the interbonds for years and they were good in most situations, esp for eater sized animals but I have lost stags with them with shoulder shots. Thats why I went to the AB for a try. But maybe the 140 Partition would be better ?
    Surprised at only 500grms of meat loss MD
    Hopefully we can pin down some good loads for spitfire to use and save him a lot of testing

yip first hind went through in crease,missed both shoulders but munted lungs,2nd one was a loooong way from wagon but front legs were still in good nick,my day bag was bulging I tell you....normally that far from wagon Im happy when I shoot up the shoulder meat....dont feel guilty leaving it behind.

Walking my rifle
    I shoot the 150berger and i happily shoot stuff out to 800 yards from my 270 tikka, i shoot them at 2900fps, even poleaxed a tahr at 665 yards. Gonna swith to sst 150gr for more of an allrounder and keep the bergers for longer shots. The shoot same load same poi.

Getting good at shooting is more important really, 270 isnt a target calibre really so for hunting its all good way beyond what most people can shoot at. Dont worry about silly numbers you get from people on the net, if you wanna see if the bullet will fully expand, go place a gel block at that max distance and shoot it and test for yourself.
    Micky Duck and mimms2 like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    I shoot the 150berger and i happily shoot stuff out to 800 yards from my 270 tikka, i shoot them at 2900fps, even poleaxed a tahr at 665 yards. Gonna swith to sst 150gr for more of an allrounder and keep the bergers for longer shots. The shoot same load same poi.

Getting good at shooting is more important really, 270 isnt a target calibre really so for hunting its all good way beyond what most people can shoot at. Dont worry about silly numbers you get from people on the net, if you wanna see if the bullet will fully expand, go place a gel block at that max distance and shoot it and test for yourself.
    Please dont go to the SST, they are a varmit bullet really. Read through the previous posts here, there is one detailing a stag shot five times with SST