Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

.270 reloading dies questions

so i got given some .270 reloading dies they look rather old and are lyman branded i'm not to die savvy but i think there is a full length case die and a neck size die plus a second rcbs neck size die, why would you need two of them but different branded? they do like quiet different. also do they wear out and as i dont have a .270 would anyone be interested in swapping for some 308 dies ? i have a press with the idea of getting 308 dies but haven't gotten around to purchasing them, still learning all this reloading terms etc maybe i should post a picture ?

Banned
    THe RCBS die will have something stamped around the top face - If it is a neck sizer it should have 'NECK' there and a two digit date of manufacture. The Lyman ones should be stamped on the sides by the knurling.

Each manufacturer makes dies to different specifications so if they are both neck sizing dies one may size a bit smaller than the other or one may not be a neck sizing die at all.

No 308 dies to swap - but someone may well have a spare set who wants .270 dies.

Yep RCBS die says neck 71 270win. Lyman says 270 win CMR then the lyman full length die says lyman 270win DA of that helps

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Banned
    CMR is combination muzzle resizer. It is a neck size and decap die

DA= Double Adjustable. You can adjust both the crimp and the bullet seating depth. This is your seating die.

If you had a Lyman full length resizing die it would have 'FL' stamped on it

Banned
    Dies only wear out if people insist on forcing dirty dust covered cases into them - more often they are destroyed by people trying to get stuck cases out of full Length resizing dies. I have set of 7 x 57 dies which I keep to show why you should never lend dies!

cool thanks for clearing that up as i have little knowledge in this area. might take them along to the next deer stalkers meet and see if someone can tell me if there OK not damaged etc