Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 270wsm rl26 145g eldx my experience

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Mate lives way too far away for that......I'm gonna pop into gunworks and pick up a 270wsm trim die tomorrow and give that a whirl (see what I did there) it may or may not solve all my problems, although I now have the arduous task of depriming about 30 live primer cases so I can trim them
    fit suppressor,fire them off...DO NOT decide to just poke end of barrel into your polar fleece vest instead to save time......somebody told me it burns/melts wee circles in the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    fit suppressor,fire them off...DO NOT decide to just poke end of barrel into your polar fleece vest instead to save time......somebody told me it burns/melts wee circles in the fabric.
    No suppressor unfortunately and it's got a break permanently fitted, bigger broblem I'm worried that with the amount of force required to close the bolt on them that I'll do damage to the chamber. Is it possible to De prime them in the press I mean in theory it should be fine as its not a percussion hit that pushes them out, but can anyone confirm it's safe.... Ish ?

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I still reckon its a shoulder bump you need, not a trim
    Gibo, Shearer and stagstalker like this.

I have de primed live primers if thats what you mean. Safety glasses and caution as you go
    Bagheera, Shearer and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    I still reckon its a shoulder bump you need, not a trim
    I'm gonna trim them all first, if still no joy then I'll try your bump method, don't have any feeler guages but I'll find some, had a look before and there's bugger all play in the case holder, wouldn't get much of a feeler gauge under there.

Take one of the cases that is tight. Wind your FL die in 1/8 turn then try and chamber it. If it is still to tight repeat the process. You have it right when there is just a slight resistance when you close the bolt. A bit more than closing it on an empty chamber.
    dannyb likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

had similar issue with .308 win in the BLR.... strange ,but I found by running the brass through OLD Lyman .30/06 dies it shrunk the web area somewhat and pretty much solved my tight chambering issues.... buggered if I can work out whats causing yours.... MAYBE get one of the tight cases you happy to chuck away and agressively trim length off neck step by step and SEE if it changes things...you loose ONE case but eliminate possibility they are causing issues by being too long in neck area...
    sounds like Mr Songhurst might have answer for you.
    dannyb likes this.

Well egg on my face, and @Ryan_Songhurst to the rescue......also @Mathias it would seem you were right the shoulders where the problem. When I was talking to Ryan he told me he had the same problem and solved it by literally giving the lever a bit of extra umph when it's camming over while resizing, went out to the lead shed and gave it a go and wallah !!!! It chambered perfectly like silk.
    I have now repeated the process for all of them checking them individually as I went and yup they are all good now.
    I will still trim them to minimum length but at least I've sorted the tight chamber.
    Now I will have to re do my ladder I suspect the tight chamber may have affected my results, I don't mind doing this however I only have 1 bottle of unicorn dust untill December so I was trying yo be frugal with it. ....oh well needs musts
    Will update here when I get time to shoot another ladder and thanks for the advice everyone.
    Last edited by dannyb; 30-07-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

O for awesome....pleased you got it sorted... good on ya Ryan
    dannyb likes this.

Well seeing as I have way too much RL26 laying around
    Now my brass is sorted I have loaded another ladder.
    Now all I need is the time to go try it again.....
    Hopefully early next week if the weather plays ball.
    Name:  IMG_20190801_113447.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  2.35 MB
    Steelisreal likes this.

Bos
    Doesn't look like your trimmed cases have had the neck-mouth's chamfered; might want to do this
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Doesn't look like your trimmed cases have had the neck-mouth's chamfered; might want to do this
    yeah was trying out the new lee quick trim die with deluxe cutter Chamfer blade, and I agree it doesn't really do enough to tidy the neck up.

Good you sorted the problem. Interested to see the results of the new ladder test.
    dannyb likes this.

57JL
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    No suppressor unfortunately and it's got a break permanently fitted, bigger broblem I'm worried that with the amount of force required to close the bolt on them that I'll do damage to the chamber. Is it possible to De prime them in the press I mean in theory it should be fine as its not a percussion hit that pushes them out, but can anyone confirm it's safe.... Ish ?
    I have de primed heaps in the press never had 1 go off just be gentle and make sure you have safety glasses on

Quote Originally Posted by 57jl View Post
    I have de primed heaps in the press never had 1 go off just be gentle and make sure you have safety glasses on
    I found I didn't have to de prime it as when I bumped the shoulders with the sizing die it actually pushed the primes out anyway, wasn't expecting that as the die has a vent in it.